Bay Scallops Casserole

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
My apologies for the lack of pictures in this post, I wasn't planning on posting. However, it turned out to be an excellent dinner, so I'll go with what I have.

It's been an extremely rainy two days here in Massachusetts and my desire to cook outdoors wasn't high. I'd bought some Bay Scallops at the market yesterday, my wife asked when I planned on making them. I didn't want to wait for sunny weather (Wed) and the use of the Blackstone, so an oven casserole would be in the works.

I literally typed in "scallops croutons" to Google just to help solidify my idea re: preparation and I was rewarded with a recipe almost identical to what I wanted to do. Here's mine:

4 Tbsp Butter
Minced Garlic
EVOO

Heated in a saucepan on the stove until the butter melted and the garlic browned. Divide between two individual casserole dishes. Followed by:

1 lb Bay Scallops
Tomato Basil Garlic Croutons (left over and frozen from the Sourdough loaf I posted a few weeks back)
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Cotija Cheese

Place the scallops (seasoned with Old Bay and Pepper) into the two casserole dishes, nestle the croutons between them so they're in contact with the butter. Sprinkle the top with the combination of cheeses. Into a 375F oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown a bit. Scallops should be done at an internal temp of 130-140F.

Serve with a side of Rice Pilaf.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes

Dinner was on the table in a half hour.

hGgneRU.jpg

zMp3teJ.jpg

I should have taken some prep pics and a pic right out of the oven prior to adding the rice, a mistake on my part.

But no mistake on this dinner! It was unbelievably excellent, restaurant quality as my wife proclaimed.

I've had seafood casseroles in restaurants before. Heavy on bread crumbs, heavy on oil/butter, light on scallops/seafood, light on flavor. Of course, I can prepare this as I believe it should be prepared and the results were outstanding, better than I could have imagined. The croutons soaked up whatever butter was in the bottom of the casserole, yet still held their crunch. The scallops were sweet and cooked to perfection.

Sorry for tooting my own horn here, but this was one exceptional off the cuff dinner. If you're looking for a way to prepare scallops, give this a try.

As always, thanks for reading through to the end of this post. When I make this again (I have more croutons in the freezer), I'll take more prep pictures.

Regards,
-lunchman

Oh man, I hear you with the light on the scallops when ordering out, but you made this RIGHT! Thanks for another fresh idea for my list of things to try.

That looks amazing Dom. Sadly there used to be a time when it was hard to beat a restaurant but, not so much anymore. Just the opposite. Not sure if it's me or them. Regardless, yours looks so much better to me.

Looks great. I started buying scallops a few years ago after spending a lot of money on a bad meal one too many times. They aren't cheap since I am far from the ocean, but we can do all can eat scallops and sides cheaper than a Red Lobster dinner.

Back