Finally nailed a brisket

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
After 2 less than ideal attempts I finally nailed one. Smoked a 6.5lb flat for about 8 hours at 220-ish and then into the cooler for a couple more. Used a rub with some chili powder in it. I sliced a bit off for sampling and cut up the rest for a chili contest yesterday (put the dripping in the chili, too). Even thought I didn't win (out of 18 entries), mine was the first chili gone. Don't know how that works, but more than a few people said I should have won. That's a great feeling.

One of my testers is a friend and local cop. His department tried it and has asked for one for dinner Thursday.

Question......should I now expect the urge to smoke something every weekend as I do now????

Last edited:
Short answer... yes.

Sometimes the temptation gets worse... more than twice a week.
Then you find yourself wandering the meat racks... at all times of day mumbling to yourself.

Don't ask me how I know this...

Last edited:
This can be very addicting...you have been warned:icon_smile_tongue:

Yes, you now know why JD asked every Friday "What's Smoking Farkers?".....Nice looking brisky!

Dang near too nice a brisket to sacrifice to the Chili Gods. Nice smoke!

Nicely done...... :-D
Yep your hooked now....... :thumb: :welcome: to the club

Great job on the brisky! Sure sounds like your butcher is going to be seeing you a lot more now.

Yeah, you're pretty much done for. There's no going back, no help available, so just go with it. It's a pretty easy addiction to feed here in SoCal, but you see these guys smoking in feet of snow, single digit temps, etc. You got that itch, you're gonna keep scratching it, and it'll never go away. :clap2:

Great looking brisket, and you are correct that where there is chili, there should be Fritos. The only thing I would say now is you should do a whole packer - point meat, whether you slice it or do burnt ends - holy chit that's good.

The only thing I would say now is you should do a whole packer - point meat, whether you slice it or do burnt ends - holy chit that's good.

Thanks for all the kind words. I fully intend to make that leap. However, with my Masterbuilt rookie smoker I don't think a packer would fit. This means of course I'm already planning a UDS build. Been trolling the internet and found a couple sources for barrels, and have been reading up on designs.

I definitely want 2 cooking grates in it because I can tell I will be using ever square inch of cooking space.

Yes you will have the urge to smoke something every weekend.

You will also have the urge to talk about somking something every day.
You may also find that this site is the first thing on you mind when you wake up and
the last when you go to sleep.

Supurb bark!

But you only cooked for 8 hrs @ 220ish? I think you'd better check your temp gauge. I think your temps were likely to be higher.

@ 220, you're at a minimum of 1.5. hrs per pound (maybe 1 hr 40 min), and you were at 6.5 lbs. That's 9 hours.

Of course, don't know what you're cooking on, and maybe you were in a hot spot with the meat? Pulling it off and quickly wrapping for rest, and the cooler really helps too.

Anyways, great job!

Oh, masterbuilt electric? Well, they do have very consistant heat, and are a box cooker. Okay, I can see 8 hrs.

LOL... If I go more than a week without smoking something I get the shakes... :sick:

No turning back now! If you have room on your cooker might try two at once. Where as I'm sure the chili was wonderful, you could still have one of the briskets to eat as soon as it rested. Or double the pleasure! Have fun.

Oh, masterbuilt electric? Well, they do have very consistant heat, and are a box cooker. Okay, I can see 8 hrs.

Yeah, they really do keep a constant temp. I have an over thermometer in it, and the digital one is usually within 5 degrees of the oven thermometer. Regardless, the Masterbuilt is a great unit....but living on borrowed time....UDS will be taking over soon!

No turning back now! If you have room on your cooker might try two at once. Where as I'm sure the chili was wonderful, you could still have one of the briskets to eat as soon as it rested. Or double the pleasure! Have fun.

Today I've been asked to make another one, in addition to the one for my cop buddy. So Thursday I'll be making 2 at once.

I'm telling you.....I don't think I'll be happy until I find a smoker that can do a whole cow at once......

Back