Judge's Comment Cards & Score Definitions

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This week at Rio Rancho(KCBS) they did two interesting things:

1) Judges Comment Cards. Judges were encouraged to provide comments to the cooks on any entry they felt they wanted to provide feedback on. For example, when we got our scores, we received a note from a judge that said the brisket was "extremely flavorful and extremely tough". It was a nice gesture even though we already knew both of these facts(especially the 'tough' part).

2) They handed out the rating definitions at the cooks meeting. Not sure if they have ever done this before. (2= inedible, 3= bad, etc etc etc)

Is this something that KCBS was testing out or did the contest rep take it upon themselves to do this?

I believe it will become standard practice. I can not recall who mentioned it, Merl I think, but they said it was the first event they were doing this, and I THINK we have Merl sand Jim Minion to thank for it(?).

Perhaps a more clear headed thinker that was there will clarify. I froze a few brain cells, and lost a few more to the JD.

Last edited:
ICBA does not give feedback nor list scores other than the top 10 which I think is wrong.(At least this was true in the 1 competition that I have done.) How can you improve without feedback?

The homebrewer's governing body has done this for years and it's very effective in increasing the quality of future submissions. I can't imagine why there's been no feedback in all this time!

There has been wind about a system allowing judges to add comments for awhile. I like the idea. Gives the cook more to go on.

I am surprised there is not more response to this.

I agree Greg. I think that comments will be very beneficial. I think the comments are in the testing stage and will not be used at every event. At least I think that's what I read.

A special committee which Jim and I are guiding is in charge of the Test Slip and comment card program. This is a sanctioned program passed by the BOD of KCBS.
There are 5 Reps who will use these cards at all contest where they officiate. The test is subject to change as we gather data from the contest. Currently the definitions on the Judges slips are:

1—Disqualified
2- Inedible
3—Poor
4—Below Average
5—Average
6—Above Average
7—Very Good
8—Terrific
9- Excellent

We still begin judging at 6 and there are no changes being made to the actual scoring system. We are trying to see if this will create an atmosphere where the judges scores are more consistent. We will determine the standard deviation and mean deviation for both types of scoring slips and then evaluate the results.

I had a lot of positive feedback and comments from cooks regarding the program last weekend in Rio Rancho. We want to hear from both Judges and Cooks as to their experiences.

It is likely we may change a word or two, especially "Terrific" If you have an idea, e-mail me at
Mwhitebook at kcbs.us

Yours in BBQ
Merl Whitebook​

I like the idea also. I personally would like to know what I did well and what I didn't do so well in the eyes of the judges. I think it will help us become better competitive Q'ers.

Did. I noticed it wasn't what I copied to the %^$% clipboard so I went back and recopied it.

Fixed now.

A special committee which Jim and I are guiding is in charge of the Test Slip and comment card program. This is a sanctioned program passed by the BOD of KCBS.

Yours in BBQ
Merl Whitebook

Thanks Merl, I was hoping you would expand on this and clarify.

In regards to the IBCA events, it is almost impossible to do a print out as there system is totaly blind. No one knows who the winners are until the tickets are taken off the trays. This has been brought up to them in the past.

I like the idea of comments. We did a practice competition week before last and Kelly Macintosh from the CBBQA, created a special comment sheet for all of the judges. There were 4 comment cards per judge (chicken, ribs, pork and beef) and they wrote comments next to each entry's number. At the end of the day the contestants went to a table where all of the sheets were and just looked up their number on each sheet and read what the judges wrote.

this past weekend in Hammond the judges were asked to make comments if they wanted to, it was good information but my only problem was that they were very hard to read the hand writing and we only got feed back in the chicken?

There are 5 Reps who will use these cards at all contest where they officiate. The test is subject to change as we gather data from the contest. Currently the definitions on the Judges slips are:

1—Disqualified
2- Inedible
3—Poor
4—Below Average
5—Average
6—Above Average
7—Very Good
8—Terrific
9- Excellent

We still begin judging at 6 and there are no changes being made to the actual scoring system. We are trying to see if this will create an atmosphere where the judges scores are more consistent. We will determine the standard deviation and mean deviation for both types of scoring slips and then evaluate the results.

I had a lot of positive feedback and comments from cooks regarding the program last weekend in Rio Rancho. We want to hear from both Judges and Cooks as to their experiences.

It is likely we may change a word or two, especially "Terrific" If you have an idea, e-mail me at
Mwhitebook at kcbs.us

Yours in BBQ
Merl Whitebook

I'm all for a number system with some definitions to help guide consistency in scoring...

I agree Merl.. that "terrific" is odd. I'd rather see a 7 be "Good" and and 8 be "Very Good" and 9 be "Excellent"... I don't think you can have "very good" without "good" preceeding it.

I also think there is a ton of misconception out there about starting at 6..
5 is listed as "Average"... KCBS rules say start at 6 and judge up or down.. While the judges classes may not specifically say that 6 means average I think that is what the prevailing thought is out there....

I think its great - looking forward to the feedback, and the consistency :)

where else can we talk about beer and bbq scorecards?
man this is a great place!

Back