Pork Ribs Without Foil

Mattb82

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone not foil their pork ribs? I typically am always cooking some form of beef and only wrap in butcher paper. The last time I did pork spares I wrapped in foil because it seems like everyone does and it ruined the bark like I knew it would. I'm cooking two slabs of spares tomorrow along with some prime beef short ribs in the morning.

Any of you guys getting good results with no wrapping on the pork ribs? I plan on cooking at 275 on the egg with a water pan

I don't foil on my Akorn. And I don't usually use a water pan either. Just a drip pan. On the egg you should get a moist end product no problem.

I normally don't foil as I enjoy having time to consume cold beers while tending the pit.

Pork ribs, no foil, and no mop for me. Pork butts and brisket I foil to rest

No foil for me and my ribs are typically cooked directly over a stick fire 400-500* ...come out moist and tender.

I used to foil and do the 3.2.1 thing at 225. The ribs were good but lacked something and quite frankly 6 hours is not necessary. I have not foiled my ribs in several years. Now I cook at 275 and spritz with apple juice every 30 minutes or so. 3 hours for backs and 4 hours for spares. No mop and sauces on the table in squirt bottles.

I do not like to foil much of anything unless I'm just resting something.

I have started messing around with butcher paper and pork ribs and have been pretty happy with the results. I wrap them meat side up(after reaching the desired color) and cut a tiny hole in the bottom to let excess liquid escape. The results are perfect color with the flavor and bark of no wrap.

Now after saying all of that..... it most likely isn't remotely worth it to you to do as I do. Your ribs can and will look tasty and be tasty without any foil, paper or any other crutch. Your temp of 275 is perfect in my opinion. It's what I use.

Just depends what I'm in the mood for....or who im cooking for. I like em both ways. I foil if I want pull off to fall off the bone tender. If I like the bite mark level then no foil necessary.

I only foil if I'm trying to add extra flavor as I don't spritz. I cook over 300 so I limit foil to 15 minutes. Any longer and they get mushy.

The only thing I wrap in foil is my heat diffuser for easy cleanup. I like a good bark and I don't like my meat braised unless it Is Pepper Stout Beef.

If I am making one or two racks of SLC ribs, I'll foil them. If more than that, I don't bother. I smoke around 275* and they are only in the foil for about 45 mins. Both ways come out good. Foiled is slightly juicier. I won't pull them until they are tender, so unfoiled takes a little longer. Total cook time is about 4 hours either way.

Obviously I have tried both at 250F (only StL cut for me, never tried BB). But I don't like the bark/meat ratio in the naked one.
Too much bark and too little meat in my opinion.

Back