New Throwdown Concept; Masters - Cut #1 - Porterhouse Steak

Surely you'd be allowed to add a photo and have it count, no?
An added photo would count, but there must be a grill shot too. I wanted grill shots included because I plan to have the 3 listed shots up for voting; raw, cooking, and ready to serve. That's also why I put each of those items in bold, to make that part stand out.

Second.....$22+ for a farkin steak?!?!?!?! Dang....I paid about that for 2 whole butts last Saturday!! Just sayin!

Thanks for reminding me that I paid almost twice what others paid brother Wampus! :redface:

Now I think I'll head off and look for a fark or rant thread.:rant:

...:wink:

Thanks for reminding me that I paid almost twice what others paid brother Wampus! :redface:

Don't worry R2, I tried a few different places before I ended up at Whole Paycheck. For what I paid ($17/lb) it should have been prime beef.

Now I think I'll head off and look for a fark or rant thread.:rant:

...:wink:

Oh, hey....I'm not dogging YOU R2. I guess I just wasn't aware that beef prices had gone up that much!! I haven't shopped for any for a while as we got a 1/4 beef last fall.

Still......that thing looked gooooooooood!!:becky:

Last edited:
Yeah it seems like beef prices are really getting up there. I didn't take your comment personally, it just reminded me that I need to pay closer attention to the grocery ads that come in the mail each week. If I had, I too could have taken advantage of the great sale price Marty got at the same store. Knowing me and my memory, I probably read that ad & forgot about it.:crazy:

An added photo would count, but there must be a grill shot too. I wanted grill shots included because I plan to have the 3 listed shots up for voting; raw, cooking, and ready to serve. That's also why I put each of those items in bold, to make that part stand out.

My mistake, I just messed up and erased the photos. So, please remove my entry. I shouldn't have submitted it knowing it was incomplete. Sorry about that.

My mistake, I just messed up and erased the photos. So, please remove my entry. I shouldn't have submitted it knowing it was incomplete. Sorry about that.
OK, and I'm really sorry about that Marty. I really want to encourage grill shots, because I think grill shots are many times the best shots in the regular throwdowns, so I thought it would be cool to have both the grill shot and the finished product for voting.

Yep, could not let the challenge of cooking a Porterhouse steak go unanswered. It's a namesake sort of thing. :becky:

Although, I love this cut of me. My wife doesn't like the cost of it. Besides, when you get used to making the cheap ones taste great it's hard to justify the expense.

I ended up going to the supermarket and finding the cheapest Porterhouse I could. There was still a debate about buying it but, in the end, it came home.
001.jpg

Once I got it out of the package, I decided that even though it wasn't the biggest Porterhouse ever, it still had a good look to it.
005.jpg

Now the big question, how to cook it. Well, seeing as I was primarily going to be the only one to eat this beauty I figured I could use some things that are normally frowned upon by the rest of the family. A while back I remember flipping through the channels and seeing Emeril make a Steak au Poivre. For his he used mustard as a base and then liberally applied a crushed pepper corn, salt, and garlic mixture. At that point my mind wandered off onto other things but, I always remembered that part of it. Now Mustard and Pepper are normally not allowed but, in this instance I figured GAME ON! But, when I thought about the seasonings involved it reminded me of a Santa Maria spice blend. It just so happened that I had been experimenting with a rub like that but, ended up being a bit heavy handed on the pepper. In this case though, I thought it would be perfect. So here is how the rest of the cook went from there.
006.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

This thing was one of the best steaks I've ever had. The meat was so tender and just melted in my mouth. The heavy spice hit was well balanced against the pure beefy boldness in flavor. This thing was so farkin good it could have brought a tear to the Devil's eye. I've later learned that to truly do and au Poivre steak, you would do it in a pan and make a creamy cognac type sauce out of the scrapings but. this beauty totally stands out on it's own. It was one that makes you sad with the thought that it's going to be gone in a moment. Chris, please pick from whichever photo you like best. I simply can't make up my mind on this one. :becky:

Thanks for looking! :thumb:

Yep, could not let the challenge of cooking a Porterhouse steak go unanswered. It's a namesake sort of thing. :becky:

I was going to comment that any cut of steak cooked at your house is technically a Porterhouse steak... :becky:

I was going to comment that any cut of steak cooked at your house is technically a Porterhouse steak... :becky:

After 2 hrs, I finally get what Tom meant. Paul's point also helped me think that one through. Duh.

Nice job on the steak from your house Tom!

All I'm gonna say is it's a good thing there were two labels on there that said "Porterhouse'.

And now for something a little different.

I purchased a porterhouse at my local grocer and dry aged it in the fridge for 72 hours.

Here's the star of our show directly out of the wrapper.

DSC_0184-1.jpg

I wrapped it in paper towels and set it in the fridge on the wire rack shown. I changed the paper towels every day though there wasn't much need to after the first 24h. Here's our steak ready for seasoning. 30m before grill time. If I would have been thinking, I would have weighed it before and after to see what kind of water weight was lost.

DSC_0187.jpg

I got the chimney all fired up with some B&B Oak Lump.

DSC_0194.jpg

It was nice and toasty coming off the top of the chimney but it was absolutely an inferno underneath. I set the chimney on the grill to get the grate good and hot. I knocked off all the ash and loose lump and then picked up the chimney and slid the porterhouse underneath. :crazy::idea::twitch:

DSC_0196.jpg

The steak cooked for 1 1/2 minutes per side. While it was cooking, I warmed another grate on the top of the chimney. I pulled the steak from underneath and set it on the warmed grill for 1 minute per side with a metal bowl on top to further channel the heat.

DSC_0198.jpg

I pulled the metal bowl, and checked for the proper sear.

DSC_0201.jpg

I sliced the tenderloin side and served with a paprika-parmesan compound butter (not shown) and asparagus.

DSC_0202.jpg

^^^^^^
Right ON!!!

Saw Alton Brown do that on a Good Eats episode!
Farkin charcoal broiler!!!

Bet that sucka was GOOOOOD!!!

Sure looks great!

Aw man, that is a good looking steak.

Brilliant me got the p-house for tonight's dinner:doh:! Woohoo...oh well it'll taste the same just a little less like victory :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back