Spraying oil for pit maintenance

Dakaty

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Are there any spray bottles that are capable of atomizing oil?

I bought a WD 40 spray bottle, but it won't atomize peanut oil, which is what I use on the inside and outside of my pits for seasoning and rust prevention.

I have lots of expanded metal grill surfaces and using PAM is expensive. Wiping with a rag is messy.

I wonder if a cheap "cup" paint sprayer (that will apply thick latex) would work as a dedicated pit oil sprayer?

I picked up a cheap sprayer in the plant section of Walmart a couple years ago. It atomized it for a season at least. Now it's a stream but at $1 a season...

Why not use PAM Spray. It is Canola Oil instead of Peanut oil.

i use a pump type sprayer I got at agway. Works well, just have to clean the nozzle with hot soapy water if i dont use if for a while and it gunks up.

Not quite atomized though.. more like heavy droplets.. i spray it on and wipe it with an oily rag.(sits in a cup in the shed).

On EDIT.. the more i think about this, the more I realizes that for the most part, i stopped doing it this season and i have sprayed the pits more with paint than oil. I bought a case(12 cans) of high temp rustoleum at the begginning of the year and have taken that stuff out more times than the oil. I just give them a quick wipe down with a cleaner(simple green), any rust, which is all small specs at thsi point, gets a quick swipe with some sandpaper and then touchups with the the paint. Firebox got sprayed as soon as somethign starts to show thru.

jt

Are you talking about a pump up sprayer like you use for yard chemicals or just a plastic bottle with a spray trigger??

Sawdust

I have used PAM and still do for touch ups, but it is fairly expensive. I use peanut oil because that is what I fry with. After the peanut oil has been used several times, I strain it and keep it in a gallon jug for use on/in the pits. I keep the entire outside and inside (except for the firebox) oiled.

I haven't used a pump sprayer for oil although the little ones have been great for apple juice, etc. For oil I've just used the plastic bottles with the trigger.

I use a Misto brand sprayer that gives a fine mist on oil.

You can pick up a pump sprayer at linens n thins or bed bath and beyond and try that they are specifically made to spray oil. Depending on the size of your pit that might work I have one and it works fine but I normally just use PAM since it is easier/faster and I only spray down my whole smoker a couple times a year.

After the peanut oil has been used several times, I strain it and keep it in a gallon jug for use on/in the pits. I keep the entire outside and inside (except for the firebox) oiled.

Just make sure it doesn't go rancid on you. I let some used oil sit a little too long ONCE and learned a lesson:oops:

If you heat that oil a little bit it will break it down and make it spay easier. Just make sure it doesn't get too hot for the parts of the sprayer. Pam is a lot easier.

SP

That's a good suggestion. My WD 40 spray bottle might work just fine if I warm/thin the oil.

PAM is definately easier but I have a large trailer smoker and a fairly large off set with a warming/smoking chamber. It takes a lot of PAM to oil them completely inside and out. I do buy the large (12 oz I think) size PAM at Restaurant Depot, but the peanut oil I use is basically free as I would recycle it anyway. I usually take my used frying oil to the auto parts store along with my used motor oil.

I usually use PAM on my Lang although you wouldn't believe it based on the current look of the fire box.

Guess I have some work to do.

SP

Heated/thinned oil definately improved my sprayer performance!!

I noticed that my used peanut oil is starting to develop a distasteful smell. Time to recycle!!

i use a pump type sprayer I got at agway. Works well, just have to clean the nozzle with hot soapy water if i dont use if for a while and it gunks up.

Not quite atomized though.. more like heavy droplets.. i spray it on and wipe it with an oily rag.(sits in a cup in the shed).

On EDIT.. the more i think about this, the more I realizes that for the most part, i stopped doing it this season and i have sprayed the pits more with paint than oil. I bought a case(12 cans) of high temp rustoleum at the begginning of the year and have taken that stuff out more times than the oil. I just give them a quick wipe down with a cleaner(simple green), any rust, which is all small specs at thsi point, gets a quick swipe with some sandpaper and then touchups with the the paint. Firebox got sprayed as soon as somethign starts to show thru.

Poobah,

Even organic oil can oxidize, although slower than a petrolem oil. Please be careful with the oily rag. You don't want your shed to burn down.

Either thin your oil with vodka or rubbing alcohol and spray away. The thinner will flash off and leave the oil. John.

I have always used the Dollar store non-stick Canola Oil sprays. They only run $1 each. On my pit I used $4 worth of spray and it was easy peasy. Guaranteed the oil will spray like you need it to.

Back