THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HB-BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
I ran across a topic on another board about using WD40 on the exterior only. There was a big name pit builder who commented there about using it on his personal smokers with good success over traditional oils. I have always used bacon fat and brushed it heavy on firebox when the cooker is cooling down and applied pam or peanut oil on a soft rag for the outside of the cooking chamber. I'm currently in the process of seasoning a new pit (with peanut oil on the inside) and am thinking of trying this on the exterior.

Has anyone been down this road already?
Would it attract extra dust and grime as other oils do?
Would it cause any rust?

I ran across a topic on another board about using WD40 on the exterior only. There was a big name pit builder who commented there about using it on his personal smokers with good success over traditional oils. I have always used bacon fat and brushed it heavy on firebox when the cooker is cooling down and applied pam or peanut oil on a soft rag for the outside of the cooking chamber. I'm currently in the process of seasoning a new pit (with peanut oil on the inside) and am thinking of trying this on the exterior.

Has anyone been down this road already?
Would it attract extra dust and grime as other oils do?
Would it cause any rust?
This about covers my opinion.
"WD40 is kerosene and a little teflon. Kerosene will burn, but not like gasoline. It almost takes a direct flame to ignite it. If you spray it and wait for it to soak in where it isn't wet. It will be difficult to light, but it will burn if you try ."
Oh, and...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9HxPS6AupI"]WD40 Fire - YouTube[/ame]

I thought it was the propellent in the cans of WD-40 that caused the fire but I could be wrong..lol...wouldn't be the first time. I do know that if any dust, dirt or grime gets on a surface covered in WD-40 it will stick to it like glue and will have to be washed off.

There are just to many options as far as food safe products to season the outside of your smoker to be using something that can make you ill.

I thought it was the propellent in the cans of WD-40 that caused the fire but I could be wrong..lol...wouldn't be the first time. I do know that if any dust, dirt or grime gets on a surface covered in WD-40 it will stick to it like glue and will have to be washed off.
Thanks and you are correct the propellant is what lowers the flash point. WD40's flash point is around 175F and I'd hope that one wouldn't be dumb enough to go and spray it directly on a hot firebox. The majority of cooking oils have higher flash points in the 400F area which is why they work great for deep frying.

Ultimately i am just trying to find a better way to preserve the hi-temp paint. As well i wanted see if there are other methods out there that do not attract dust like bacon grease and other oils do. Since I currently use peanut oil on the interior i will try it on the exterior of this pit and she how it works.

I use Crisco shortening on the easy to reach parts of the fire box, and spray canola oil on the vents, backside and bottom. In the picture below, you can see the difference between the Crisco and the spray oil:

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 147
I would just touch it up with flat black hi temp grill paint when needed

thats what I used to do with my OK Joe and you could not tell, it matched perfectly

I just did the firebox, the paint on the cook chamber never gave me a problem. I did not put anything on it

Back