THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lobsterbake

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Mark
Hello,

I picked up my Shirley last Saturday and I am ready to season it after a hectic week. What did you use (Pam, veg oil, peanut oil, etc) and what was your process? Did you spray the oil on the interior when your pit was hot or cold? I have heard some use mineral oil on exterior when pit is warm as well - how has that worked out? Any tips or feedback is appreciated and must admit hate to get this thing dirty to be honest lol.

Thanks,

Mark

I would never spray the outside of a new cooker. Spray all that you can reach inside and start a fire. Keep it below 250 for a couple hours then cook something greasy. I like to think the paint sets better at lower temps.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hello,

I picked up my Shirley last Saturday and I am ready to season it after a hectic week. What did you use (Pam, veg oil, peanut oil, etc) and what was your process? Did you spray the oil on the interior when your pit was hot or cold? I have heard some use mineral oil on exterior when pit is warm as well - how has that worked out? Any tips or feedback is appreciated and must admit hate to get this thing dirty to be honest lol.

Thanks,

Mark

The instructions that came with my Klose said use peanut oil, cooking oil (Not Wesson brand Dave told me) or grease. Small fire @ 150~ degrees for 3 hours, then 220-230 for 4-6 hours. You can put peanut oil on the exterior after cooks to keep flaking to a minimum but its unavoidable in the end I was told. To repair flaked paint areas use a wire brush and ODORLESS MINERAL SPIRITS to clean the area. Then repaint.

Last edited:
Anyone ever season inside FB? I have an insulated vertical cabinet smoker and that manufacturer advised to do cooking chamber and FB so curious if could do Shirley FB on a stick burner and what reasoning is not to.

Thanks,

Mark

You can season the inside of the FB but it will all pretty much burn out on the first fire. I spray inside my FB when I'm not gonna use it for a long time like during the hottest part of the summer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LSG recommends spraying oil inside the FB before and after each cook. They claim it will help keep the box from rusting out. Steel is steel. If it is recommended by one manufacturer, I see no reason why it wouldn't work on a Shirley.

DON'T PUT OIL ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR SHIRLEY.

Seriously, just don't. There is no need for it. Langs may peel and flake but your shirley won't. They sandblast prior to painting so the paint adheres really well. You also have an insulated FB, so you definitely don't have to worry about it. Leave the outside alone. If grease or oil drips on the black, wipe it up immediately or it will be a permanent stain.

On the inside, Regular old cooking spray (veg oil) works just fine. If you use peanut oil you will need to make a hotter fire to carbonize it. Spray every bare metal surface with a light coat of oil. For your cooker I would guess a can to a can and a half. Go light. This does not need to be heavy. It will just run if its heavy. Be especially light around the holes where the damper handles are, or oil will run out the holes. After coated, start a small fire. bring it up to 150 slowly, let it ride there for an hour or so, then add some fuel, bring it up to 200-225ish, let it ride a while longer. Then bump it to 275 for a while. Take your time, let the process take 5-6 hours. This is more to cure the paint than to season the inside. After 5 or 6 hours of this. add a couple 3 splits and bring it up to 350-375ish. This will insure that the oil inside carbonizes and seasons your pit. Its just like seasoning your carbon cookware or cast iron. You need to take the oil past its smoke point so it can carbonize and create a non stick surface. Let it run hot for 30-60 min, then just let it die out on its own.

DON'T PUT OIL ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR SHIRLEY.

Seriously, just don't. There is no need for it. Langs may peel and flake but your shirley won't. They sandblast prior to painting so the paint adheres really well. You also have an insulated FB, so you definitely don't have to worry about it. Leave the outside alone. If grease or oil drips on the black, wipe it up immediately or it will be a permanent stain.

On the inside, Regular old cooking spray (veg oil) works just fine. If you use peanut oil you will need to make a hotter fire to carbonize it. Spray every bare metal surface with a light coat of oil. For your cooker I would guess a can to a can and a half. Go light. This does not need to be heavy. It will just run if its heavy. Be especially light around the holes where the damper handles are, or oil will run out the holes. After coated, start a small fire. bring it up to 150 slowly, let it ride there for an hour or so, then add some fuel, bring it up to 200-225ish, let it ride a while longer. Then bump it to 275 for a while. Take your time, let the process take 5-6 hours. This is more to cure the paint than to season the inside. After 5 or 6 hours of this. add a couple 3 splits and bring it up to 350-375ish. This will insure that the oil inside carbonizes and seasons your pit. Its just like seasoning your carbon cookware or cast iron. You need to take the oil past its smoke point so it can carbonize and create a non stick surface. Let it run hot for 30-60 min, then just let it die out on its own.

I put it (canola, veg oil) on the outside of my firebox about every other cook and the entire pit maybe every 5th cook. Doesn't need it the first go round of course.

Back