Let's see your comp trailer layout

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've been working on ideas for Boonhaugler II's floorplan and would like to see some ideas. The trailer's primary purpose will be competition BBQ, it's secondary purpose will be competition BBQ. It may be used to go camping but that would be rare.

Based on budget, here's what we're thinking so far:

work stations - 2 - 3'x5' stainless steel tables (already have)
sink - we're currently thinking maybe a dual utility sink (24'x24"x16" deep each). No running water in year one. We'll use the Coleman instant water heater and drain into a plastic barrel with a ball value on the bottom for a hose drainage (so if at a site we can drain, we'll drain - if not, we'll drain as we pull out)
cabinets - across the top on the counter side, similar size to above a refridge and a wall of cabinets/shelves over the opposite wheel well
sleeping - 2 bunks across the front
restroom/shower - taking a hike, aint happening as this time
mobile carts - these are our two current work stations, they are kitchen cabinets and counter built on casters

So I keep coming back to this layout ... thoughts?

Attachments

• Boonhaugler II layout.jpg
    Boonhaugler II layout.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 627
Does this lay-out leave you plenty of room for the smokers?

THAT is a nice setup!, nice caddy pulling it!

thanks 4 posting it, gives me ideas what I want

Bobby,

I know you said that this is just for competition, but if you left room for a 3 bay sink, would that get you a lot closer if you ever wanted to make this a catering unit? I still think you have to have a separate handwashing station.

Anyway, when you finalize your layout, you might consider how much stuff would be impacted if you wanted to make this a catering unit. I know Don has asked questions in the past about catering. My $0.02.

Phil do those knife stay on the magnetic strip while traveling?

Phil do those knife stay on the magnetic strip while traveling?

yeah.. for the most part. The chefs knife is heavy and usually falls off if I forget to take them down. After that happened and it bent the tip, I remove them, wrap them in a towel and leave them in the sink for transport.

i have built two of them now and i will tell you an shower is worth the space it is all ways nice to rince the sweet off and have that fresh feeling

celing fan will cut down the bugs in the trailer they don't like the moving air but you will:-D walmart 28 dollers

and the last trailer i built (mark and beckey talked me in to this one great grill of fire)
put an small chest freazer in
you turn it on the night befour leaving and put the ice
in the side the best coooler you will ever have it last for days

york

Don and Bobby - I see you may need a floor. I happen to know somebody---me--- that knows how to install VCT, which I expect you will be needing and/or using.
Let me toss this out to ya. I'll install that VCT for ya (you buy adhesive and VCT) and you teach me your pork secrets?.....:wink:.
I might even have a couple of boxes of gray VCT for ya to start.

Shoot me a pm..

I've never seen a floorplan done in excel, kudos to your resourcefulness.

What's on your mobile carts that you can't mount under your workstation? Thinking you might get extra room that way. I freed up a lot of space in my trailer by being able to stack items on my carts during transport.

Nothing, those mobile carts can go outside under the ez up for tables if we want to work outside. Or if the weather sucks they can stay inside and be extra counter space. With them in, we'll have nearly 3.5 feet of walking space in between (the scale is slightly off due to only being in 6" spaces). During transport the back one will be moved forward so the smokers can go against the drivers side wall.

If you need a new floor, go with VCT as Ray said. The black tiles at Home Depot are what I have in mine. Black is GREAT because it hides the dirt and grime. Most who've seen my trailer agree.

VCT looks easy enough to put in. I've also considered Line-X'ing the floor ... thoughts on that?

VCT looks easy enough to put in. I've also considered Line-X'ing the floor ... thoughts on that?

After putting the VCT down on my floor, I saw the "bed liner" stuff. I kinda wish I had seen it and tried it. I love it in the bed of the truck.... so easy to clean and really tough. I may go back and redo the floor one day and give it a try.

If you go to the link in my sig for myspace, and go look at my pics, I have some of the flooring I put in. I tried to find the solid black and white, but it was kinda pricey, so I went with the stuff with the small impurities of "design" in it... didn't turn out too bad.

I saw this in the Northern Tool book the other day and was wondering if it is any good. It is designed for garage floors..... This size is the only one with a picture. It comes in as small as 7 1/2 ft x 17 ft... There would be some cut off for my small 6x12, but it would give me a couple of mats to put outside the doors....

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200361251_200361251

After putting the VCT down on my floor, I saw the "bed liner" stuff. I kinda wish I had seen it and tried it. I love it in the bed of the truck.... so easy to clean and really tough. I may go back and redo the floor one day and give it a try.

If you go to the link in my sig for myspace, and go look at my pics, I have some of the flooring I put in. I tried to find the solid black and white, but it was kinda pricey, so I went with the stuff with the small impurities of "design" in it... didn't turn out too bad.

I saw this in the Northern Tool book the other day and was wondering if it is any good. It is designed for garage floors..... This size is the only one with a picture. It comes in as small as 7 1/2 ft x 17 ft... There would be some cut off for my small 6x12, but it would give me a couple of mats to put outside the doors....

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200361251_200361251

I don't like my bed liner when it is wet. You get some water, mud or grease on that floor and it will be slick. More so than the VCT, IMHO.

VCT might be cheaper. :confused: You can always replace a tile and not have to redo the whole floor.

If you use VCT, make sure you wax it. My wife just uses Mop N Glow with a finishing wax it it. Seems to work well enough.

Nice slide show Phil Very nice trailer. Would like to see it up close some day

If you need a new floor, go with VCT as Ray said. The black tiles at Home Depot are what I have in mine. Black is GREAT because it hides the dirt and grime. Most who've seen my trailer agree.

I was going to disagree just to be an arse, but realized I have it in our trailer as well.

Bobby,

I know you said that this is just for competition, but if you left room for a 3 bay sink, would that get you a lot closer if you ever wanted to make this a catering unit? I still think you have to have a separate handwashing station.

Anyway, when you finalize your layout, you might consider how much stuff would be impacted if you wanted to make this a catering unit. I know Don has asked questions in the past about catering. My $0.02.

I woulod put in the 3 bay sink for resale purposes. If you outgrow this one, and want to sell it you have a very limited market, add the sinks and you have opened your market to a few more demographics.

Back