You favorite pork butt dry rub

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
There is a three-ways pork neck event coming up, and I am looking for some new inspirations.

Three small pork necks without bone without speck are already waiting in the fridge, and I want to give them three different rubs.

The first one will get lemon peppered, there is just no way around it!

The second one should be a little on the sweet side, something like

• 6 tbs brown suggar
  • 3 tbs coarse sea salt
  • 2 tbs black pepper
  • 1 tbs chili powder
which is a mixture I just found looking around a little.

For the third one I wanted something with cumin, maybe something like

• 1/4 cup sweet paprika
  • 2 tbs white sugar
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tbs black pepper
  • 2 tbs cumin
  • 2 tbs chili powder
  • 2 tbs coarse sea salt
  • 1 tbs cayenne
but it may as well be a decision between the last two for the second pork neck, because my wife wants to try a typical Austrian "Schweinsbraten" seasoning (featuring caraway) on the third one, which I am dubious about.

So what are your suggestions for such a three-ways pork neck happening?

Hands down the best rub for pork that I have tried so far is Plowboys Yardbird.

For a home made rub this is pretty good also,

3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon hickory smoked salt or 2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

Best I have found for pork
Butt Glitter Sprinkle
* courtesy of PItmaster'T"

8 tsp paprika
3 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp celery seed
1tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp mustard powder

My recipe:
8 parts Splenda
2 parts chili powder
2 parts paprika
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1/2 part salt
1/2 part black pepper
1/8 part cayenne powder (optional)

My wife doesn't like the cayenne.

Sent from my Android phone.

Best I have found for pork
Butt Glitter Sprinkle
* courtesy of PItmaster'T"

8 tsp paprika
3 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp celery seed
1tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp mustard powder

A tad OT, but has anybody tried this on some baby backs?

I may need to put a flame suit on, but I am starting to doubt the need to use any rub on a big pork butt. The flavor doesn't go more than, at the most, a half inch into the meat, so when you slice it or pull it, you're not getting a lot of that flavor in the meat you eat.

Pork butt is just such a big, thick chunk of meat. I focus on getting it cooked just right, and then serve it with lots of flavors, whether it is a PP sammich, or some carnitas style tacos, or Cuban style roast with beans and plantains.

Am I alone on this?

CD

+1 I am slowly buying into this CD. I wonder how the bark would be affected. I know I am using less and less on ribs and still gettin great results

I may need to put a flame suit on, but I am starting to doubt the need to use any rub on a big pork butt. The flavor doesn't go more than, at the most, a half inch into the meat, so when you slice it or pull it, you're not getting a lot of that flavor in the meat you eat.

Pork butt is just such a big, thick chunk of meat. I focus on getting it cooked just right, and then serve it with lots of flavors, whether it is a PP sammich, or some carnitas style tacos, or Cuban style roast with beans and plantains.

Am I alone on this?

CD
No suit required. I completely agree. I've been working on my injections for flavor deep in the meat, but rub doesn't go far in butts. When pulling for sandwiches, tacos, whatever I'll add a little rub after.

Am I alone on this?

CD

I think it depends. If I want the bark that goes with it then I use a rub like playboys. But you can make it sing with just salt and pepper and then make it to fit your application with the final assembly. Mexican, Cuban or whatever.

+1 I am slowly buying into this CD. I wonder how the bark would be affected. I know I am using less and less on ribs and still gettin great results
For a real eye opener try a few bones without any seasoning. I did some testing one time and my control was peanut oil (which I mix with my rub) and nothing else. I was surprised how good these plain ribs tasted.

As for the rub I put on butts, last time was:
  • 1 Tbsp black Pepper
  • 1 Tbsp Rosemary
  • 1/2 Tbsp Coriander
  • 1 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika.
  • 1 Tbsp Ancho powder
  • 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
  • 2 Tbsp Garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp Onion powder
  • 1 Tbsp Mustard powder

I mix this with enough peanut oil to make a slurry and smear that on the butt so it is not a dry rub I guess. As others have mentioned, due to the thickness of the meat, the flavor from the rub has little impact on the results.

Am I alone on this?

CD
Truth be told I'm S&P man on everything but my Bones and E NC sauce for my Butts & solders,HEAT & MEAT, OLD SCHOOL BABY!! :thumb:

Back