THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Those burgers look perfect to me...plenty of color and just the right amount of char.

Thanks!

I'm literally planning on ordering my YS640 on payday and this thread just makes me smile!!!

My first pellet cooker and I am digging it so far!

Awesome pics ! Enjoy that cooker in good health..

Thanks!

Nice cooks so far.. But burgers without cheese??

Kids dont like cheese on theirs?? Who does that??

Did some chops tonight. Indirect for about 20 minutes and then seared. Went too far with the indirect this time...grrrrhhh. Good bit of radiant heat from the deflector pan...more than I thought...they were about cooked to 150 before my 1 minute per side sear....I will be testing and using more, but also going to try just the normal stainless steel grates for comparison. Not sold on the grill grates just yet....

2b9bd98ecd7f9cddfe8704463159c6b5.jpg

4ff6fe699a8739cc06cc4643ba4541b9.jpg

6015aae8c363a32b64a7cf89cee0602d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Keep us updated on the grates. I have them on my list for when I order but the more I think about it I don't know why the standard stainless grill wont work just fine and I can save a few bucks...unless review says otherwise.

First grill I have used grill grates on. I have used cast iron grates on the primo ceramic the last 8 years. It's a completely different "feel" using the grill grates.

Next grilling cook I will use the stock SS grates and see how they do

Keep us updated on the grates. I have them on my list for when I order but the more I think about it I don't know why the standard stainless grill wont work just fine and I can save a few bucks...unless review says otherwise.

A part of what one gets with the Grill Grates is a mechanism to help prevent flare ups when grilling fatty foods. They can be installed flat-side-up for increased surface area to produce additional char. Also, the Grill Grates will reach a higher temperature than the factory steel grates, for any given heat setting.
If you elect to get them, spring for the optional forked spatula; it does make a difference in ease of use when using the grates with the ridges facing up.

Although you didn't ask, I personally feel that if money is an issue and it was between one or the other, getting the new-style deflector plate, featuring a removable panel above the fire pot area, is the more useful accessary than the Grill Grates, unless you grill frequently and have no other option than the pellet cooker. The panel opening makes cleaning out the fire pot a snap.

Last edited:
Agreed on the two piece deflector with access panel...that's a must have imo. My stock one sits in the garage, likely never to be used. Too bad you just can't pay a little extra and get the two piece one standard vs paying 189 extra for it

Congrats on the new cooker. Loving the Yoder so much. Looks like you broke it in great and have really done a lot already. I have been trying to kill our Traeger so I can get a yoder. Kinda overly jealous but excited for you. Our Traeger just won't die. Thanks for sharing.

Decided to try out the griddle for breakfast...worked great! This kind of stuff I never did on my kamado...

ed07b9f906d2f49649224c22f5eee278.jpg

c694de32a6d6a2e5ca07cd1cbaf99d2b.jpg

d761f30af54017a1d9ad8a01ed61542a.jpg

I love my YS640!..........I am going to modify my diffuser plate to make it a two piece.

A part of what one gets with the Grill Grates is a mechanism to help prevent flare ups when grilling fatty foods. They can be installed flat-side-up for increased surface area to produce additional char. Also, the Grill Grates will reach a higher temperature than the factory steel grates, for any given heat setting.
If you elect to get them, spring for the optional forked spatula; it does make a difference in ease of use when using the grates with the ridges facing up.

Although you didn't ask, I personally feel that if money is an issue and it was between one or the other, getting the new-style deflector plate, featuring a removable panel above the fire pot area, is the more useful accessary than the Grill Grates, unless you grill frequently and have no other option than the pellet cooker. The panel opening makes cleaning out the fire pot a snap.

Two piece plate definitely on the list as well as a cover. Now the comp cart is a want but probably not a need :)

Well, I failed miserably on a whole chicken last night. I was going to spatchcock him but for some reason didn't? Took much longer to cook than expected and tried to rush it at the end to feed the kids...so I wanted redemption today and went to Kroger for some beef ribs. Didn't even realize I picked up back ribs vs the short ribs I wanted:(. So another failure on my part. Cooked them up anyways and aside from not much meat on them, they were quite good

e81b7467ecd15fd7317e687db933db25.jpg

9631effea256f0dfc7a83a6e3a4e3a11.jpg

b582499293c06ed4d7846deb528b158e.jpg

Cook details? They look pretty darned good.

Bovine Bold rub, about 3 hours with yoder set to 250. Wrapped in bp the last 30 minutes. The dips on the temp graph were me opening door. As you can see, the yoder does not keep it within 5-10 degrees like others. Maybe that's why the smoke output tends to be better? I dunno for sure> It was windy and raining all day...about 53 degrees. About ready to go to the store to find a brisket and throw him on and burn through some of these pellets so I can see which I like the best and order a half ton:)

f4e05ceb52fba75aabdd87467f000926.jpg

Back