THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Service Announcement:
We were supposed to get a form to offer suggestions on how to improve the contest, but we didn't (not sure if anyone did).
For those who had issues with the contest and would like to be part of making it a better event next time:
http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/ContestantCritique.pdf

Those who wish to comment on electric, recall from the contestant's app that it was 20 amps you signed up for (I heard 30 from some folks).

We didn't get a form either. I wish we did. I agree with Vinny on what he said, we were all very cramped. It would have been nice if we were spread out a little bit, also trying to leave was a pain. Had to wait for everyone else to leave, we were stuck in the middle of the row. But all in all I had a fun weekend, again wished I met some more Brethren, but I am sure I will. Next time, stop by and have a beer with me if I don't come see you first.:p

other than shutting off the water early the only other issue i have is that i did not get a t-shirt!!! i did not get a cooks packet. only reason i knew was because tom announced he was selling them at awards for 5 bucks

All in all I think it was a good weekend, except that the heat really did me in- still recovering. I had a good time with my team and had my best showing. They do need to work on the toilet and hand wash stations issue. If awards are going to be late they need to announce it. There needs to be easier access to the sites for getting in and out. I know that they want a lot of space for the mpublic events but we need some too. We also need areas to dump the dirty water, and more ash and grease cans.

All in all I think it was a good weekend, except that the heat really did me in- still recovering. I had a good time with my team and had my best showing. They do need to work on the toilet and hand wash stations issue. If awards are going to be late they need to announce it. There needs to be easier access to the sites for getting in and out. I know that they want a lot of space for the mpublic events but we need some too. We also need areas to dump the dirty water, and more ash and grease cans.
I didn't think the toilet situation was to bad, the short walk even in heat was ok and most of us need the exercise:rolleyes: The space issue is something to be concerned about. They had plenty of room to make at least 20 feet between rows. What if somebody had a heat stroke or other medical emergency? No way could an ambulance fit down any of those aisles. A safety hazard as well. What if i had a family emergency or whatever? No way could anybody leave once they were in.The layout should be submitted for approval in advance along with the application to KCBS.

Scott...We are so sorry for your loss.

Great weekend with fellow Brethren, nice to meet so many new people :biggrin:

Michelle, WTG Girl!! It was so nice to meet...lol and congrats to everyone else that got a walk too :biggrin:

Everyone is right, several issues all of which have been covered, and a little more hospitality and a lot less yelling (Tom yelled at us the whole time we were pulling in :eusa_clap). Thank you Phil.

There was a cook's packet? I bought my tee shirt...

Yes a layout of the grounds to the KCBS is an excellent idea :biggrin:

all in all we survived...lol

I didn't think the toilet situation was to bad, the short walk even in heat was ok and most of us need the exercise:rolleyes: The space issue is something to be concerned about. They had plenty of room to make at least 20 feet between rows. What if somebody had a heat stroke or other medical emergency? No way could an ambulance fit down any of those aisles. A safety hazard as well. What if i had a family emergency or whatever? No way could anybody leave once they were in.The layout should be submitted for approval in advance along with the application to KCBS.

I thought it was a great event (heat aside) and I will return next year.

I agree that there were some significant issues that could easily be addressed for next time.

Toilets/wash stations. Inexcusable. All they had to do was fill the sink tanks with fresh water!!
Crowding/departing issues - agree.
Water - early shutoff was bad. Placement also was bad. They should have had more posts at the other end of the rows.
Gray water - needed to have containers and spread out for easy access.
Ash - overflowed and started a fire. Also, near the diesel!
Awards - really bad to delay with the heat.
Gravel - needed a couple of tons more with the bad drainage and mud.
Ice - they ran out twice. Not good.
Parking - would be nice to be able to park closer in the other empty fields.
Dust/tractor rides - that tractor was driving by all day right next to our food prep! Wet down the road or move the route.

I will be submitting a feedback form to help them improve the event.

Hah! Ain't he great? His name is Matthew. The only reason I walked him around was to show him off. :-D
He's a little shy though, and there was an awful lot going on so he didn't know what to make of it at first.

--------------
When we got 2nd in chicken, his mom yelled with excitement which scared him and he cried. I love him to death though and I could talk about him all day.
That's great to hear from a parent and you sure have a right to want to show him off - I have 22 year old twin girls that I still like to show off : ) so I totally know what you mean.

Congratulations on your 2nd place!

Donna

Scott...We are so sorry for your loss.

Great weekend with fellow Brethren, nice to meet so many new people :biggrin:

Michelle, WTG Girl!! It was so nice to meet...lol and congrats to everyone else that got a walk too :biggrin:

Everyone is right, several issues all of which have been covered, and a little more hospitality and a lot less yelling (Tom yelled at us the whole time we were pulling in :eusa_clap). Thank you Phil.

There was a cook's packet? I bought my tee shirt...

Yes a layout of the grounds to the KCBS is an excellent idea :biggrin:

all in all we survived...lol

Hey WannaBe - it was nice to meet you, even though it was a quick hello. I thought I was the only one Tom kept yelling at.

We did all survive, but our suggestions will help for it to be a better event in the future.

Donna

This was our last BBQ on the Farm. Not many of things that were wrong last year were taken care of this year. Thats why I was hesitant to come this year but the wife talked me into it. The bright spot of the weekend was having my nephew compete and do well (he even beat us).

I hope you come back. It was nice meeting you. As was across from you- Back Porch BBQ. Everything discussed can be improved. I plan to return next year. Hopefully it will be less hot

Congratulations on your 2nd place!
Thanks! This was only our 3rd KCBS contest and we were thrilled with the results. 7th in brisket, 2nd in chicken and 3rd overall was way better than we expected. I'm glad we'll have something to remember about this contest besides the heat.

This was our last BBQ on the Farm. Not many of things that were wrong last year were taken care of this year. Thats why I was hesitant to come this year but the wife talked me into it. The bright spot of the weekend was having my nephew compete and do well (he even beat us).
I am willing to bet that we can talk you in to doing it aGAIN NEXT YEAR:biggrin:

I hope you change your mind between now and then too Guy. I think it could be a great event with a little work. I wouldn't miss it. It's my home contest and I hope it'll become a tradition for a lot of people in the area. I just wish the pay out money made it down to 3rd overall. That would've been sweet. :-D

I hope you change your mind between now and then too Guy. I think it could be a great event with a little work. I wouldn't miss it. It's my home contest and I hope it'll become a tradition for a lot of people in the area. I just wish the pay out money made it down to 3rd overall. That would've been sweet. :-D
I like it when they do top 5 overall. Wish it were a fri-sat as well

Back