WSM vs PBC vs UDS vs Bronco

I have two WSMs (18" & 22") and a PBC. I tend to use the PBC most of the time, because it's so easy to set up, and to clean after the cook.

I use the 22" WSM for briskets. I cook big briskets and they are too big for the PBC grate, and don't hang well because they touch the charcoal below. So I cook them horizontally on the 22" WSM. It works well.

IMHO, the PBC rules for chicken and ribs. But according to my son and his friends, the best ribs I ever cooked were smoked horizontally on my WSM, with water in the pan the entire cook.

I'm intrigued by the Bronco. The hinged lid, the wheels, the deflector plate, the cool looking chimney on top. BUT...is there an easy way to insert a temperature probe?

Last edited:
I have two WSMs (18" & 22") and a PBC. I tend to use the PBC most of the time, because it's so easy to set up, and to clean after the cook.

I use the 22" WSM for briskets. I cook big briskets and they are too big for the PBC grate, and don't hang well because they touch the charcoal below. So I cook them horizontally on the 22" WSM. It works well.

IMHO, the PBC rules for chicken and ribs. But according to my son and his friends, the best ribs I ever cooked were smoked horizontally on my WSM, with water in the pan the entire cook.

I'm intrigued by the Bronco. The hinged lid, the wheels, the deflector plate, the cool looking chimney on top. BUT...is there an easy way to insert a temperature probe?
I have a Bronco and really like it. I just shut the temp probe under the lid. There is a gasket so it won't damage the probe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

. . . .

I think ribs, and most other things, are just easier to deal with horizontally. Obviously, there is a benefit with capacity hanging them vertically, but on the PBC, I always found that the ones closest to the fire got a little crispy and I definitely lost a couple of racks into the coals. I like to give the meats a little ACV spray periodically throughout the cook, and that's just easier when I can pull the lid, hit everything with the spray bottle, and replace the lid. I never had much luck doing that in the PBC without pulling the food out one by one (and if you left the lid off for too long doing this, the fire would kick up).

I have a Bronco and really like it. I just shut the temp probe under the lid. There is a gasket so it won't damage the probe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I do the same with temp probes on the Bronco.....very easy setup

As far as comparing, I've had a PBC and Bronco (Only reason I have the Bronco is because I got it new from Academy for $140 out the door). They cook basically the same to me. The PBC is lighter and more transportable by far. Other than that, I'd say the Bronco turns out very similar tasting food when setup the same.

Back