THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With all due respect to Mr. Soo, are you worried about a few extra dollars worth of charcoal cooking a $60 piece of meat? You are worried about temps getting out of control. Put water in the pan and you won't have to worry about it. Water in the pan does not affect the bark as much as you read. Harry Soo has done thousands of briskets and this is your first. Make it easy on yourself.

This isn't my first brisket. This is my first brisket on a WSM. And this brisket was a little over $100. I'm just worried about the temperatures exceeding well over 400 degrees if I go the hot and fast method utilizing lump

I have always used water in the pan. Without it, or, something as a heat sink, it will be very difficult to control your temps. I have never had any problems with my bark because of the water, and have always used water because it does help with meat moisture. I also bought a larger water pan because of longer cooks, just so I dont have to "refill" it.
It has never caused me to burn "more fuel".
I also use the Minion Method for starting and start all three open full,and top damper full; then will shut one all the way, and the other two down to 1/4 open at 190 - 200. Once the built in thermometer zeros in at 225, I shut one to just barely open and the other I leave alone, but use that one for adjusting temp as the cook goes. Sometimes I will open it just a little more, but that seems to get the best air flow for any of my cooks. I can hold 225 top thermometer / 245 - 250 rack temp for a good 8 - 10 hrs. I do use the top damper for temp control, but usually only close it slightly if temp starts to spike. Have not had any taste issues by that.

Also, I use Weber charcoal, I find it burns longer, hotter, with very little ash residue and it does not have a "smell" to it.

Question, do you have the original door? sometimes you have to lightly bend it to get it to seal better, or you are getting too much air flow and constantly adjusting to compensate. I bought the Stainless Steel door from Virtual Weber site and it seals / fits perfectly, worth the money!!
Once you get a Guru, you wont have to adjust the vents (I dont have one, YET) or the damper on top.
That is pretty much how I run. Hope that helps.
Look forward to your future cooks!!

Yes, I have the original door. I have seen that door mod and the heavy duty door box both look very solid. This post was very helpful. Do you put your wood chunks on the bottom and then fill up with charcoal? How many wood chunks do you use?

I use this minion method, the one where you scatter lit charcoal scattered. I do put 4 wood chunks, add charcoal then add four more all around edge then one in center. I put lit charcoal (10-12ish) next to each chunk. No water pan, foil pan with foiled clay flower pot bottom then foil over top of pan.
https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/firing-up-weber-bullet-2/#minion

Last edited:
Harry Soo uses a temperature controller. He don’t play with the vents. If you want to go that route get a temp controller. You can get an IQ-110 Temp controller for $139. I can go with or without the temp controller, but for overnight brisket cooks the temp controller and a pit temp alarm helps me sleep.

Use the minion method with a full chimney of lit coals.

I put an bungee chord around the Factory door on my two WSM cookers and they seal up just fine. I use a flat ribbon Bungee chord. (See photos)

Put water and a quart or two of beer in the pan. I does help with the low and slow and makes temps Super easy to control. I never had an issue with the bark using water. (See photos).

Band and temp controller:

Bark comes out fine:

Last edited:
Yes, I have the original door. I have seen that door mod and the heavy duty door box both look very solid. This post was very helpful. Do you put your wood chunks on the bottom and then fill up with charcoal? How many wood chunks do you use?

I am still using the original door on mine also, but I did put gasket material to seal it up. A stainless steel door is on the list, if only because it is more robust. But it will have to wait just a bit. That is my only complaint about the WSM, why did they go cheap on the door.

Harry Soo uses a temperature controller. He don’t play with the vents. If you want to go that route get a temp controller. You can get an IQ-110 Temp controller for $139. I can go with or without the temp controller, but for overnight brisket cooks the temp controller and a pit temp alarm helps me sleep.

Use the minion method with a full chimney of lit coals.

I put an bungee chord around the Factory door on my two WSM cookers and they seal up just fine. I use a flat ribbon Bungee chord. (See photos)

Put water and a quart or two of beer in the pan. I does help with the low and slow and makes temps Super easy to control. I never had an issue with the bark using water. (See photos).

Band and temp controller:

Bark comes out fine:

Using a bungee cord is a great idea. When you smoke a brisket even though you have water in the pan... do you still spray the meat? Do you use briquettes or lump? Thanx

I use a very similar approach to Rick’s, and I also did a few of the same mods (stainless after market door, plus gaskets around the door and lid). The lid gasket was overkill, as after the first couple pork butt cooks I would have had enough creosote build-up to ensure a tight fit.

I’m a minion method guy, and I’ve found that 9 briquettes in the chimney starter, until the top few are half gray, work best to get the party started. I’m a water-in-the-pan guy as well - and temps remain pretty solid. Having some humidity in a low/slow cooking environment should actually help with bark formation. If you’re running hot-n-fast, then no water needed.

Remember that every cooker has a sweet spot that it alone likes to run best at. Airflow is still your friend... so using the 9 briquette method with a full water pan, and keeping a half open lid vent, with a one closed/two quarter’ish open bottom vents, I roll along at 240-250. I try not to close that top vent any further than half to make sure airflow is still consistent.

I appreciate the pressure of cooking an expensive cut for family, especially with a new cooker. Give yourself plenty of time to go low and slow, and recognize that more hold time will help improve your end product. Then relax and know you’ve got a solid cooker doing its thing! Good luck!

I use a very similar approach to Rick’s, and I also did a few of the same mods (stainless after market door, plus gaskets around the door and lid). The lid gasket was overkill, as after the first couple pork butt cooks I would have had enough creosote build-up to ensure a tight fit.

I’m a minion method guy, and I’ve found that 9 briquettes in the chimney starter, until the top few are half gray, work best to get the party started. I’m a water-in-the-pan guy as well - and temps remain pretty solid. Having some humidity in a low/slow cooking environment should actually help with bark formation. If you’re running hot-n-fast, then no water needed.

Remember that every cooker has a sweet spot that it alone likes to run best at. Airflow is still your friend... so using the 9 briquette method with a full water pan, and keeping a half open lid vent, with a one closed/two quarter’ish open bottom vents, I roll along at 240-250. I try not to close that top vent any further than half to make sure airflow is still consistent.

I appreciate the pressure of cooking an expensive cut for family, especially with a new cooker. Give yourself plenty of time to go low and slow, and recognize that more hold time will help improve your end product. Then relax and know you’ve got a solid cooker doing its thing! Good luck!

you're the first to recommend the lid vent halfway open. everywhere I've read and videos says to leave the lid vent wide open and to only make adjustments to the bottom vents.

Using a bungee cord is a great idea. When you smoke a brisket even though you have water in the pan... do you still spray the meat? Do you use briquettes or lump? Thanx

The water in the pan bastes the meat for you so there is no need to use a sprayer. I use briquettes and bury the smoke wood like Harry Soo shows around 4:20 in this video. https://youtu.be/dOctn85Y-nk I also put one chunk of smoke wood on top of the lit charcoal when first setting up the smoker.

You can see the bag of briquettes in my first photo. Harry Soo uses jealous devil lump, but the WSM was originally designed for Kingsford briquettes and it the temps can almost be set like cruise control if you use kingsford briquettes and use water in pan.

When I use the vents. I keep all of the vents (top and bottom) wide open until the temps start coming up. The top vent always stays wide open to maintain a good draft. If you close the top vent down you can get dirty smoke. The smoker needs to draft properly. Once the pit temp hits about 200°f I close down all three bottom vents to about the width of a regular pencil. Then I fine tune from there. I do change all three bottom vents and not just one. When you are starting out you can literally put a pencil in the bottom vent hole To act as a gage when reducing the air intake around 200°f. Just pull the pencil out once it is adjusted. The other thing is that it takes a while for the pit to stabilize after a Vent setting change. Once you change the vent settings Wait 10-15 min to see what happens before making the next change or you could start chasing your tail.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Last edited:
you're the first to recommend the lid vent halfway open. everywhere I've read and videos says to leave the lid vent wide open and to only make adjustments to the bottom vents.

Every cooker is different - for mine, I’ve still got good airflow with the top vent no more than half closed, but I rarely touch it nowadays. And my bottom vents each start half open, then when I’m close to temp (10 degrees or so) I do one closed/two quarter open. It’s kind of on autopilot now.

The water in the pan bastes the meat for you so there is no need to use a sprayer. I use briquettes and bury the smoke wood like Harry Soo shows around 4:20 in this video. https://youtu.be/dOctn85Y-nk I also put one chunk of smoke wood on top of the lit charcoal when first setting up the smoker.

You can see the bag of briquettes in my first photo. Harry Soo uses jealous devil lump, but the WSM was originally designed for Kingsford briquettes and it the temps can almost be set like cruise control if you use kingsford briquettes and use water in pan.

When I use the vents. I keep all of the vents (top and bottom) wide open until the temps start coming up. The top vent always stays wide open to maintain a good draft. If you close the top vent down you can get dirty smoke. The smoker needs to draft properly. Once the pit temp hits about 200°f I close down all three bottom vents to about the width of a regular pencil. Then I fine tune from there. I do change all three bottom vents and not just one. When you are starting out you can literally put a pencil in the bottom vent hole To act as a gage when reducing the air intake around 200°f. Just pull the pencil out once it is adjusted. The other thing is that it takes a while for the pit to stabilize after a Vent setting change. Once you change the vent settings Wait 10-15 min to see what happens before making the next change or you could start chasing your tail.

Hope this helps,

Chris

I just looked at this brisket it weighs 19.99 lbs! everybody is eating tomorrow at 3. If I'm going to do low and slow do I really need to start cooking 20 hours before the party? I've read that you should estimate 1.5 hours per pound. I'm assuming they make this calculation after trimming?

I take the wood chunks and stick them in the charcoal vertically, about 1/4 way from the "hole" in the middle to the ring edge, with one or two at the edge of the hole. I cut my chunks into 1x1 inch cuts ( length is not changed, about 2 -3 inches long) when I stick them in. Depending on my flavor profile i usually use 6 -8 chunks, a couple of more for longer cooks/ heavier smoke flavor.
Also, I made a smaller charcoal ring from heavy duty diamond screen for those shorter cooks. Keeps the charcoal more confined when you do not need as much. I adjust the amount of wood to the cook also.

I saw the "door box", but given the way the WSM cooks, there is no reason to spend that kind of money, especially sense you dont normally need to use the door anyway. Thats why I went with the Stainless Steel door instead.
I also went with the larger stainless water bowl, so I dont have to worry about it running dry during the longer cooks. I want to be able to keep everything closed up from beginning to end of the cook.

More than happy to be a help. The learning curve on the WSM is not that steep, and I personally am extremely happy with it.

I take the wood chunks and stick them in the charcoal vertically, about 1/4 way from the "hole" in the middle to the ring edge, with one or two at the edge of the hole. I cut my chunks into 1x1 inch cuts ( length is not changed, about 2 -3 inches long) when I stick them in. Depending on my flavor profile i usually use 6 -8 chunks, a couple of more for longer cooks/ heavier smoke flavor.
Also, I made a smaller charcoal ring from heavy duty diamond screen for those shorter cooks. Keeps the charcoal more confined when you do not need as much. I adjust the amount of wood to the cook also.

I saw the "door box", but given the way the WSM cooks, there is no reason to spend that kind of money, especially sense you dont normally need to use the door anyway. Thats why I went with the Stainless Steel door instead.
I also went with the larger stainless water bowl, so I dont have to worry about it running dry during the longer cooks. I want to be able to keep everything closed up from beginning to end of the cook.

More than happy to be a help. The learning curve on the WSM is not that steep, and I personally am extremely happy with it.

I just thought of something earlier today they didn't cross my mind this week and that is the size of my brisket. It weighs 20 pounds! If I was to do low and slow at 225 degrees it would take forever to cook
I wonder if I should keep the temperatures between 225and 250 for 3 to 4 hours and then bump up the heat to 275 to 300 to be able to cook and not take 24 hours just to cook this brisket

I just thought of something earlier today they didn't cross my mind this week and that is the size of my brisket. It weighs 20 pounds! If I was to do low and slow at 225 degrees it would take forever to cook
I wonder if I should keep the temperatures between 225and 250 for 3 to 4 hours and then bump up the heat to 275 to 300 to be able to cook and not take 24 hours just to cook this brisket

Is that package weight, or trim weight? Usually you lose a good 3+ lbs when you trim. I think your idea of low and slow at the beginning (suggest 4- 5 hr) at 225* and then, depending on internal temp, 140-150, wrap with jucies you caught in drip pan under brisket; then bump up bump up 275*- 300* and look for an internal of 200* - 205*. 203* seems to be my sweet sport for brisket.
You are probably looking at a 12 -14 + hr cook with a brisket that big.
Dont forget to let it rest a good couple of hours after you take it off at finish temp.

So yeah, your looking at a long cook. But, it will be worth it.

I cook brisket in the 250-275 range. I’m thinking 20 hours would be sufficient including the rest period. Planning brisket for a set time is always fun because time and Finish temp are just an estimate and the brisket isn’t really done until it’s done. Always better to get it done a little early than having people sitting around waiting. I take photos when my brisket goes on and is served. My last 17lb. Brisket went on at 7:45PM and was Ready to serve Almost 19 hours later at 3PM. This included a 4 hour rest wrapped in brown construction paper (construction paper is sold at Lowe’s and is the roll of brown shopping bag paper that you put on the table when eating crabs). The minimum I would rest brisket is one or two hours. Don’t carve until you are serving.

Last edited:
The brisket was put in the smoker 5 minutes ago. I'm going to do a slow cook until it's time to wrap with butcher paper and then finish off in the oven at 275 degrees. Thanx everybody for the help! This chunk of meat is massive!

Mph33: Good Luck, let us know how it turns out.

This is a great thread. I’ve had a 18” WSM for about 5 years. I’ve always used water. Mine likes 225-240. All vents half open. I’ve never really thought about how much charcoal it uses. That cost is immaterial compared to the cost of the meat.

Started the cook at 10 last night. Fell asleep, woke up internal meat temperature only 162 degrees. I went ahead and wrapped it in butcher paper and threw it in my oven. Set the temperature on the oven at 300 degrees. The bark on this brisket is very strange. it's crunchy and very dark brown not so much black. I did see a good amount of juice between the point and flat. I think I messed this one up brothers :(

The WSM 22 coals we're just about gone after 10 hours.

Back