THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
I've already done 2 burn offs and one slow cook with some scrap meat. Normally for my first Cooks I stick to butts and ribs but I guess I got a little cocky. I'm kind of getting paranoid about cooking this large prime brisket. This is my first WSM. I'm cooking this for my family on memorial day and I don't want to mess up LOL. I've noticed that this smoker can get really hot and it's hell to get the temperatures to go down. yesterday when I was doing a slow smoke the temperature jumped up to 325 and it took over two hours just to get it down to 250 degrees.

My previous smoker was a UDS. my method of keeping the temperature down was the minion method and only adding 7 to 10 lit briquettes in the middle. That method worked very well that I think I should use that method for the WSM.

The big question here is should I use B&B lump charcoal for a hot & fast or Kingsford professional low and slow. to me hot and fast would be the safe method since I haven't really dialed in this smoker yet. Today I'm going to do a low and slow with some scrap meat and I'm going to start off with practically all the vents turned off and wait for the blue smoke then add the meat and see how it holds its temperature. I've noticed that this 22 inch smoker can get piping hot real fast and it kind of makes me paranoid about doing a hot and fast because it will exceed 400 degrees. In the past I've tried hot and fast 4 a butt and I didn't really care for it it lacks Smoky flavor and wasn't the juiciest. I've seen lots of videos of guys successfully doing the hot and fast method but it seems a lot of them inject. any suggestions I would greatly appreciate especially pertaining to the WSM. Thanks

I have digital thermostats
Butcher paper
Lots of aluminum foil
Basic brisket diy rub
Charcoal chimney

I would use the Kingsford. I use Kingsford BB and it works just fine. I also use the Minion method on my 18.5 in. WSM with about 10 lit coals as you do. I also use water in the water pan, not sand as some do. With the water and the bottom 3 vents open a quarter of the way, my WSM stays around 250 degrees no problem.

For the brisket, check out Aaron Franklin's videos. They are great and I've had really good success with my briskets after using his methods.

Have a great weekend!

I would use the Kingsford. I use Kingsford BB and it works just fine. I also use the Minion method on my 18.5 in. WSM with about 10 lit coals as you do. I also use water in the water pan, not sand as some do. With the water and the bottom 3 vents open a quarter of the way, my WSM stays around 250 degrees no problem.

For the brisket, check out Aaron Franklin's videos. They are great and I've had really good success with my briskets after using his methods.

Have a great weekend!

My problem with the Kingsford charcoal is that stuff smokes like crazy that it takes about an hour to get a thin blue smoke. I haven't tried this professional-grade yet. I will do it today to see how it burns.

Thanks for the suggestions I will check out his YouTube channel today I've been watching a lot of Harry Soo's brisket videos. He's pretty advanced and very knowledgeable.

I've already done 2 burn offs and one slow cook with some scrap meat. Normally for my first Cooks I stick to butts and ribs but I guess I got a little cocky. I'm kind of getting paranoid about cooking this large prime brisket. This is my first WSM. I'm cooking this for my family on memorial day and I don't want to mess up LOL. I've noticed that this smoker can get really hot and it's hell to get the temperatures to go down. yesterday when I was doing a slow smoke the temperature jumped up to 325 and it took over two hours just to get it down to 250 degrees.

My previous smoker was a UDS. my method of keeping the temperature down was the minion method and only adding 7 to 10 lit briquettes in the middle. That method worked very well that I think I should use that method for the WSM.

The big question here is should I use B&B lump charcoal for a hot & fast or Kingsford professional low and slow. to me hot and fast would be the safe method since I haven't really dialed in this smoker yet. Today I'm going to do a low and slow with some scrap meat and I'm going to start off with practically all the vents turned off and wait for the blue smoke then add the meat and see how it holds its temperature. I've noticed that this 22 inch smoker can get piping hot real fast and it kind of makes me paranoid about doing a hot and fast because it will exceed 400 degrees. In the past I've tried hot and fast 4 a butt and I didn't really care for it it lacks Smoky flavor and wasn't the juiciest. I've seen lots of videos of guys successfully doing the hot and fast method but it seems a lot of them inject. any suggestions I would greatly appreciate especially pertaining to the WSM. Thanks

I have digital thermostats
Butcher paper
Lots of aluminum foil
Basic brisket diy rub
Charcoal chimney

Definitely use the Minion Method. Until you get that 22 gunked up it is probably going to run hot. I put a gasket around the lid and door to calm mine down but that's personal preference. Low and slow but at 250 to 275. Franklin recommends 275° with backyard smokers. Water in the pan will definitely help keeping pit temp controlled. I would open the bottom vents to at least 50% for start up and start cranking them down at 200°. Some people swear that if you close the top vent to bring temp down it will ruin the taste of your meat. I shut mine down more than once to stop runaway temps and the meat tasted fine. With a little practice you'll get the hang of it. If you want more info on operating the WSM TVWB is an excellent source. https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/operating-tips-modifications/

Definitely use the Minion Method. Until you get that 22 gunked up it is probably going to run hot. I put a gasket around the lid and door to calm mine down but that's personal preference. Low and slow but at 250 to 275. Franklin recommends 275° with backyard smokers. Water in the pan will definitely help keeping pit temp controlled. I would open the bottom vents to at least 50% for start up and start cranking them down at 200°. Some people swear that if you close the top vent to bring temp down it will ruin the taste of your meat. I shut mine down more than once to stop runaway temps and the meat tasted fine. With a little practice you'll get the hang of it. If you want more info on operating the WSM TVWB is an excellent source. https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/operating-tips-modifications/

A lot of people say you can't do low and slow with lump charcoal. I watched a couple videos from Harry Soo and he says he can get 16 to 20 hours of cook time utilizing lump charcoal

I have a WSM 18". I don't have a problem with it getting too hot. I start out with the top vent open all the way, then the 3 bottom vents half way open. I use a chimney starter and wait until there's white on the tips of the top charcoal then put it in.

That will start me out around 250-275 and can maintain that for hours until I need to add more. I can smoke a rack of spareribs without needing to add more charcoal.

I have a WSM 18". I don't have a problem with it getting too hot. I start out with the top vent open all the way, then the 3 bottom vents half way open. I use a chimney starter and wait until there's white on the tips of the top charcoal then put it in.

That will start me out around 250-275 and can maintain that for hours until I need to add more. I can smoke a rack of spareribs without needing to add more charcoal.

when you start cranking the vents down do you just do one vent or all three vents on the bottom?

I'm sorry if it's been said but do you use water in your water pan? That helps big time keeping your temps down.

I've been using Harry Soo's method. I'm doing nothing in the water pan including sand or water. from what I've read it uses a lot more fuel when you run water in the pan and it also affects the bark on the meat

I have a WSM 22 and absolutely love cooking on it. I have found that I get best results using lump charcoal. I have been using Royal Oak, mainly because it is the only brand other than Cowboy that I can find near me. To be honest I have not tried Cowboy only because I have not heard much good about it. I also use the minion method, with all the vents, top and bottom wide open. When the dome thermometer reads somewhere in the 180-190ish area I start closing off the bottom vents and turn on and set my BBQ Guru. If you don’t have one really consider getting one. Great little tool.

I have a WSM 22 and absolutely love cooking on it. I have found that I get best results using lump charcoal. I have been using Royal Oak, mainly because it is the only brand other than Cowboy that I can find near me. To be honest I have not tried Cowboy only because I have not heard much good about it. I also use the minion method, with all the vents, top and bottom wide open. When the dome thermometer reads somewhere in the 180-190ish area I start closing off the bottom vents and turn on and set my BBQ Guru. If you don’t have one really consider getting one. Great little tool.

With that lump charcoal you can do a low and slow on the WSM 22? I totally forgot about ordering a guru before memorial weekend. What temperature do you normally cook brisket? Do you use the water pan with water? Thanx

With that lump charcoal you can do a low and slow on the WSM 22? I totally forgot about ordering a guru before memorial weekend. What temperature do you normally cook brisket? Do you use the water pan with water? Thanx

Oh yeah, you can do low and slow with lump, just a matter of dialing in your vents, both bottom and top. I generally do brisket at not more than 250. I am really not that much of a hurry, and I enjoy the cook as much as the eating. Yes I do use water in the water pan. I believe that it helps to stabilize the temps. I know that there are people that will disagree with that, and that’s OK by me. I like the results I’m getting. I really can’t say enough good things about WSMs. Do check out the Guru. Works exactly as they advertise.

when you start cranking the vents down do you just do one vent or all three vents on the bottom?
I usually close all three to about 1/4 open but if the temp keeps climbing I'll shut down 2 and regulate with one. I start with the top wide open and maintain that if I can control the temp with the bottom vents. One way to get runaway temps is to start with too many lit coals. It's easier to control starting with 10-12 briquettes or equivalent lump and let it come up slowly. It takes longer but you have more control.

Oh yeah, you can do low and slow with lump, just a matter of dialing in your vents, both bottom and top. I generally do brisket at not more than 250. I am really not that much of a hurry, and I enjoy the cook as much as the eating. Yes I do use water in the water pan. I believe that it helps to stabilize the temps. I know that there are people that will disagree with that, and that’s OK by me. I like the results I’m getting. I really can’t say enough good things about WSMs. Do check out the Guru. Works exactly as they advertise.

I imagine with lump charcoal you practically have to have all the vents on the bottom shut. I would shut two vents completely off and then leave the other vent slightly cracked in the top vent opened all the way. this is what I'm getting right now for the past 2 hours all vents shut except for one and it's cracked.

I usually close all three to about 1/4 open but if the temp keeps climbing I'll shut down 2 and regulate with one. I start with the top wide open and maintain that if I can control the temp with the bottom vents. One way to get runaway temps is to start with too many lit coals. It's easier to control starting with 10-12 briquettes or equivalent lump and let it come up slowly. It takes longer but you have more control.

Most certainly. It is so much easier to control a fire by letting it climb versus one that has spiked. I remember one time with my old UDS the temperature Spike like crazy and I was spraying the barrel down with two water hoses. I ruin the hell out of those ribs. It's much better to start off low and allow the temperature to climb versus trying to get a spiked heat to go down

I've been using Harry Soo's method. I'm doing nothing in the water pan including sand or water. from what I've read it uses a lot more fuel when you run water in the pan and it also affects the bark on the meat

The point of Soo using no pan is because at comps he cooks hot and fast. But if you want lower temps I would use your water pan. All the water pan really does is help with temp control. Plus on the WSM especially since the heat is coming from directly below your meat it will also protect it. I get great bark on mine when I cook low and slow and use my water pan. :thumb:

The point of Soo using no pan is because at comps he cooks hot and fast. But if you want lower temps I would use your water pan. All the water pan really does is help with temp control. Plus on the WSM especially since the heat is coming from directly below your meat it will also protect it. I get great bark on mine when I cook low and slow and use my water pan. :thumb:

I think I heard him say on his channel that he doesn't use water or sand. Even if he's doing low and slow

With all due respect to Mr. Soo, are you worried about a few extra dollars worth of charcoal cooking a $60 piece of meat? You are worried about temps getting out of control. Put water in the pan and you won't have to worry about it. Water in the pan does not affect the bark as much as you read. Harry Soo has done thousands of briskets and this is your first. Make it easy on yourself.

I have always used water in the pan. Without it, or, something as a heat sink, it will be very difficult to control your temps. I have never had any problems with my bark because of the water, and have always used water because it does help with meat moisture. I also bought a larger water pan because of longer cooks, just so I dont have to "refill" it.
It has never caused me to burn "more fuel".
I also use the Minion Method for starting and start all three open full,and top damper full; then will shut one all the way, and the other two down to 1/4 open at 190 - 200. Once the built in thermometer zeros in at 225, I shut one to just barely open and the other I leave alone, but use that one for adjusting temp as the cook goes. Sometimes I will open it just a little more, but that seems to get the best air flow for any of my cooks. I can hold 225 top thermometer / 245 - 250 rack temp for a good 8 - 10 hrs. I do use the top damper for temp control, but usually only close it slightly if temp starts to spike. Have not had any taste issues by that.

Also, I use Weber charcoal, I find it burns longer, hotter, with very little ash residue and it does not have a "smell" to it.

Question, do you have the original door? sometimes you have to lightly bend it to get it to seal better, or you are getting too much air flow and constantly adjusting to compensate. I bought the Stainless Steel door from Virtual Weber site and it seals / fits perfectly, worth the money!!
Once you get a Guru, you wont have to adjust the vents (I dont have one, YET) or the damper on top.
That is pretty much how I run. Hope that helps.
Look forward to your future cooks!!

Back