THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The original Cyber Q from BBQ Guru (the one before the wifi version) had to be a tech genius and have several adapter and cords to hook it up to a laptop. It was a sh$t load of cash and wasn't able to do anything more than my digi Q

And,.. of course,.. (hind site is 20/20) all of the big box store offset smokers that I was so proud to purchase at one time or another. Yup,. I'm talkin to you Charbroil, Char-grill, and Brinkmann!! ugh... all that cash for pits I just gave away in the end. ( The Old Country is my only exception )

I must have a mental block. I forgot about the cos, ecb and that sideways 55 gallon barrel grill thing.:tsk:

I love my BGE's but would like to meet in a dark alley the person who designed the felt gasket for them....

Yes I know there's alternatives but I spent way too much money to have to do so.

Forgot my most expensive mistake. Had a 22.5" Weber kettle on a cart...like a Performer but without the gas start. Kept it next to the side door of the garage and used it for everything.

Got a wild hair one day in '97 and thought it would be nice to have a gas grill on the deck in the backyard. Spent over $700 for a Weber Genesis with side burner. Tried grilling everything on it but nothing came out as well as in the kettle. The only thing I liked about it was the rotisserie so that is all I used it for for 6 years. Let my ex have it in the divorce settlement and happily left with my kettle.

I bought a massively over built rib rack which I don't like and never use.

Bear claws suck for pulling pork.

Many different "instant" read therms that all sucked.

Lots of crappy tongs.

Many different rubs which turned out to have nasty stuff like trisodium what-the-farkenate, or any form of hydrolyzed yeast or soy extract. Those are all just MSG precursors. If your label says "no MSG" then leave out all the weird chemicals like tetra sodium pyrophospate. If I wanted to cook with chemical weapons I'd just open a big old can of VX nerve gas.

Tongs with ends like this suck unless you like tearing your bark, ripping sausages, etc.

tongs2.jpg

They're pretty good for taking up space though.

I bought a massively over built rib rack which I don't like and never use.

Bear claws suck for pulling pork.

Many different "instant" read therms that all sucked.

Lots of crappy tongs.

Many different rubs which turned out to have nasty stuff like trisodium what-the-farkenate, or any form of hydrolyzed yeast or soy extract. Those are all just MSG precursors. If your label says "no MSG" then leave out all the weird chemicals like tetra sodium pyrophospate. If I wanted to cook with chemical weapons I'd just open a big old can of VX nerve gas.

Or cook with KBB

MES40....only bought it just prior to Christmas last year. Was just getting interested in this wonderful hobby. Had a XLBGE but never really had any interest in it....other than making burgers and simple steaks etc on it. Since getting the MES I have begun to try to work with the Egg. Have become more interested in smoking with wood than electric and pellets....

Weber Kettle. I don't understand the hype. Everyone says it is the best grill at the best price. I disagree. There are better grills and smokers out there for better prices. I bought mine, used it once, and threw it away.

Kidding. I have eight Webers of one form or another. I love them. A lot. That reminds me, I need to check CL to see if any other Webers have come up for sale.

Worse purchase: Probably similar to the others. Cheap tongs, thermometers, and other cheap equipment.

I bought a Char Griller Duo. It wasn't a bad purchase, but once I got a Weber I hardly ever used it again.

Yeah, those POS Kettles......hate 'em !!

Good thing I got the 1st 23 of them for free or i'd be torqued way out......

Great thread.....

beer can chicken thing was a great idea.....had it for 8~9 years & gave it to my stepson, faded, ragged cardboard instruction sheet still attached....
I have numerous ribs racks of which I have used one twice & one other once....the good thing on these & a bunch of other stuff already mentioned like cheap tongs, cheap various racks, & any other Cheepnis (see Frank Zappa catalogue for explanation) is that 98% of those things I found at the Dollar Store or in second hand establishments...(***See Below)
Including ALL my sets of bear claws, which I love.....I am the electric pork puller with those things....90 seconds to 3 minutes tops to pull thru & discard any fatty or tough bits & done....

Biggest might have been the Char Broil(?) Griller(?) offset, which I had stored & used where i worked....we downsized to half the space & it had to go....gave it to a guy who had some somewhat better models already & really knew how to run them well......
I'd done fine with it, but he could use it for his business & just wasn't into throwing sticks as much....loss of $149 on the play....

*** Some things got for screamin' cheap have turned out to be ferociously useful & well made.....
This "buttula" was $4.98 @ Smart 'n' Final....4`1/2 x 10", HEAVY stainless

MollysBdayJuly2012Pt2037.jpg

33-3-2014PersonalTurkeyMeatloafs045.jpg

Don't know if it's American made, but I guard this thing with my life......

Some of the cheap stuff is the stuff I value the most !!!

Think I paid $20 for the Weber beer can accessory maybe 15 years ago.

41K-INm09uL._SY300_.jpg

Still have it around somewhere but doubt I'll ever use it again after learning the ways of spatchcock and recently getting the rotisserie kit.

This is all hilarious. I'm dying laughing. I just started on my que adventures. So far, horrible tongs... like 5 of them. I'm looking to buy a good set. Suggestions anyone?

Picked up a couple pair of these on a whim a couple years ago at Webstaurant Store, 16" Heavy Duty tongs. Wasn't expecting much since they were only $2.69 each. Turns out they are the best damn tongs I've ever owned. Also picked up the 12" ones as well.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/16-heavy-duty-utility-tong/92247316.html

Fortunately for me, most of the crap I've gotten over the years have been gifts. But yep, tongs, therms, gloves, aprons, aprons, aprons, aprons. I don't wear aprons, never have, but for some reason.... Got some of those silicone gloves for Christmas last year. While I don't hate them, I'm not sure yet if I like them.

Fortunately for me, most of the crap I've gotten over the years have been gifts. But yep, tongs, therms, gloves, aprons, aprons, aprons, aprons. I don't wear aprons, never have, but for some reason.... Got some of those silicone gloves for Christmas last year. While I don't hate them, I'm not sure yet if I like them.

Go naked, wearing an apron....just once.....that'll cure the gift-givers...:boxing:

Is it this one? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Grill-Charcoal-Chimney-Starter/19581245

Cause if so I bought the same one a while back and the farken thing wasn't worth the metal it's made out of. :tsk:

Yeah, that's the beauty. I wasn't really trying to save a buck, but needed one for the cabin and was at WW. Pretty embarrassing to be struggling to get a fire going in front of your relatives.:mad2: Never had that problem with a Weber chimney.

Oh, I forgot to mention the electric ECB.

Back