THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst item ?

A knife block set from a big box store.....knives such outright and were never sharp. Wolfgang Puck can kiss my big arse.

$14 on an extra wide spatula I thought I could use on butts. Bent the handle in half first butt out of the smoker. Trash...

You need to give the BBQ Buttula a try.

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/bbq-buttula/

I love mine and also like the new extension handles they are making for them now.

The last spatula that I'll ever need.

Awe man I just bought a set of bear paws. They got great reviews on Amazon". Live and learn I guess.

Nothing wrong at all with the Bear Paws.

They work great......better than two forks.

If you are doing more than one or two butts, though.....it pays to get the electric drill attachment and a clean bucket. Zip....zip....zip......your butt is ready in less time than it takes to type this. :becky:

Am I the only one that uses his bear paws to lift butts off the smoker? On the wsm the claws fit between the grates to get under for a better lift.

Now for pulling purposes I don't like them as I use my hands and like a chunkier pulled pork.

My worst BBQ purchase? Probably the vast array of horrid BBQ sauces I've picked up over the years. I also bought some AMAZING fish tongs that worked sooooooo good for turning fish without messing them up........until the whole end fell off after the SECOND cook!!:tsk:

Yep...still mad about that one.:mad2:

Cheap meat thermometers and grill thermometers, bear claws, and a cheap 12" brisket carving knife.

I love my pretty pink gator gloves! Haha

ET732 sucks! Got it over a year ago didn't use it because didn't need it. Used it twice recently and the stupid probe read 165! Now I'm stuck with it and no warranty :( Shoulda bought a Dot instead. Also those orange BBQ gloves that look like legos. Those things are too stiff and a pain to take off my hands. I use white bar towels instead, shoulda spent the money on a six pack!

Hate to hear that. I've had mine over 3 years and it's still going. Had to purchase another set of probes last year when one was going hay-wire (temps were going up and down by 50-100 degrees constantly).

Nothing wrong at all with the Bear Paws.

They work great......better than two forks.

If you are doing more than one or two butts, though.....it pays to get the electric drill attachment and a clean bucket. Zip....zip....zip......your butt is ready in less time than it takes to type this. :becky:

What is this sorcery!?!?!? :drama:

Electric drill to pull pork? Brb. :idea:

I love the claws for pulling butts? What do yall dislike about them. Much faster than forks for me.

Perfectly cooked pork doesn't need more than people fingers to pull. Bear paws are nothing more than a weapon to pull undercooked pork and to stab yourself with. No Bueno.
This...

I just found it easier to put on some cotton/wool gloves with disposable nitrile gloves on top of them for taking meat from the smoker and for pulling pork/beef/chicken by hand. Those bear claws are sharp and can poke holes in skin and aluminum pans, both of which will make a mess. One that your guests won't want to eat and one that you won't want to clean!

I will have to say my 2nd FEC , nothing wrong with it, bought it without really thinking if I really needed 2, now it just sits in my garage taking up space.

This...

I just found it easier to put on some cotton/wool gloves with disposable nitrile gloves on top of them for taking meat from the smoker and for pulling pork/beef/chicken by hand. Those bear claws are sharp and can poke holes in skin and aluminum pans, both of which will make a mess. One that your guests won't want to eat and one that you won't want to clean!

I have the claws and they have their place. really handy for pulling whole chickens

I use them sometimes for pork but not all the time

I would definitely not call them a waste of money

I have the claws and they have their place. really handy for pulling whole chickens

I use them sometimes for pork but not all the time

I would definitely not call them a waste of money
Sure...everyone will have their preference.

Mine sit up on a shelf in the pantry with my BBQ stuff just getting shuffled around to access other things. I need to just ship mine off to someone that might put them to use...

I second using the bear claws for handling any big piece of meat coming out of any source of heat. I think they do a quick job of pulling pork if you're careful not to poke the pan. a great tool for handling thanksgiving turkey or easter ham too!

Sure...everyone will have their preference.

Mine sit up on a shelf in the pantry with my BBQ stuff just getting shuffled around to access other things. I need to just ship mine off to someone that might put them to use...

I use the claws most for picking up and repositioning butts and briskets and such. Personally, it's my favorite tool for the job. But yeah, for pulling they just suck.

I would have to say that the worst purchase I ever made for outdoor cooking was one of those grill basket cage things. Everything I ever tried to cook in one became just a huge mess.

Bunch of cheap thermometers. Two or three sets of cheap spatulas, forks & tongs I bought to use for travel grilling...finally gave up and started bringing a nice set from home that I've had for 30 years.

Bought a "grill mat" at Target last year. Ended up spilling some hot coals from the chimney on it. They burned large holes through in a couple seconds.

Back