THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm waiting too. I need to have something to open Christmas morning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's exactly what i told my wife! She also got me a few tshirts weeks ago and asked why i haven't worn them yet, i said because you are wrapping them so i have something to open. I am still a kid :laugh:

Looks like I missed out on the sale. Is the Ken Onion edition that much better than the standard model? For almost half the price is the standard model worth buying at $69.95?

Opened box, no obvious damage, will be wrapped and under tree with a bag of coals. Actually B&B has released post oak smoking wood. Santame May bring that to myself in lieu of charcoal

Looks like I missed out on the sale. Is the Ken Onion edition that much better than the standard model? For almost half the price is the standard model worth buying at $69.95?

Yes, the KO version is worth it. Adjustable blade angles, rotatable tool head for doing stuff like lawnmower blades and variable speed. Definitely worth it.

As for my experience with it last night, I got not just one knife done but 4. Started with a cheapie 1 sided paring knife, that went really well. Moved on to some very hard SS paring knives that I've never been able to sharpen to my satisfaction, that went great. Another inexpensive paring knife, and then felt brave enough to do my wife's Cuisinart mini santoku chef's knife. That one I had used the Lansky on before, but the edge was pretty chipped and mangled; never had enough time to grind all of that out. Well, a few passes with a coarse followed by fine and voilá, a perfect edge with no chips.

Could I have done it with the Lansky? Yes, eventually. Probably would have taken another 30 minutes of grinding (or more!) to get it to where I got in less than 5 minutes. VERY happy with the purchase. :thumb:

Just got mine. Pretty neat little rig. Will spend some time on the manual and see how it works. Got some old knives to play with before the more important ones get a shot.

According to UPS Tracking, mine showed up at home ~15 minutes ago.
Watched a couple of the utubes over the lunch hour, so I'll give it a try on some cheap stuff tonight for practice.
Got my band aids ready!

First impressions, the Worksharp KO is great. I need to get good with it. Definitely takes practice as everything and everyone says. It does create dust as noted. For a knife with a good finish I definitely would use painters or masking tape to protect it from the guides. Just a quick practice run tonight with my 1980 something Rambo knife. It is old and definitely abused. The KO did great! Used all the belts except the smoothest one. Made a really sharp edge on a knife that never had an edge. I did have some tip deformation, totally my fault didn't stop half way the first stroke, but it actually got a better tip the better I got. Will continue to practice until I get good enough to hit the real knives. Definitely not regretting this purchase! BTW the scratches are from a preteen thinking he was Rambo! Not the Worksharp

Attachments

Edge looks really clean. From what I have read, they can eat a tip in a hurry. That's one of the reasons, I went ahead and bought the blade grinder attachment. I thought it would be easier to see what I was doing. The eyesight isn't the greatest.

Edge looks really clean. From what I have read, they can eat a tip in a hurry. That's one of the reasons, I went ahead and bought the blade grinder attachment. I thought it would be easier to see what I was doing. The eyesight isn't the greatest.

Saw a good tip on youtube just now. A guy said he gets a little lower view and it helps alot. I was hovering directly over it. Will try the lower veiw this weekend.

Saw a good tip on youtube just now. A guy said he gets a little lower view and it helps alot. I was hovering directly over it. Will try the lower veiw this weekend.

I still haven't opened mine, might do that tomorrow, since it doesn't look like I will be working. If you get down blade level, be sure and wear safety glasses. It would suck to get metal shavings in your eyes.

I would agree with everything that Dennis and Josh said. I did the three knives pictured, the little Barlow went first, straight blade, was dull as could possibly be, turned out pretty dang nice.
Did the Schrade next, It was already fairly sharp, definitely made it even better.
My little Ken Onion Scallion was a bit more of a challenge with the short, curved blade.
Gonna get some more practice before I go back to it. I wanted to stop before I ground the tip off.
Definitely gonna take a bit of practice, but happy with it so far.

Just joined the club today.

Q8ZpKek.jpg

I think I got one of the last ones before they stopped the sale. Mine is due Monday.
Ordered mine on Sunday, Amazon says delivery before 8pm tomorrow. Still shows that it hasn't shipped yet. But there is a huge Amazon distribution center about an hour or so south. We'll see.

Back