THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am really bummed by all the insensitive comments here. Somebody lost there life....this is not a joke. Hopefully, by reading this, people will become more aware of the dangers of a compressed gas bottle. Stop dissing people that made a simple mistake. I have made them my whole life....

I'm with you on this Marty. I'm appalled at some of the responses to this tragedy by fellow brethren.

I bet there was alcohol involved that clouded better judgement, on the sunny side the herd has been culled hopefully stifling this blight on the the human gene pool.

I guess when people on a bbq forum start hanging off a guy's nuts because he keeps repeating the same sh*t over and over again about how a brisket should be cooked, he thinks he's better than the rest of the human population.

Never liked your holier than thou attitude before, and this post confirms just how much of an arrogant jack@ss you are.

I guess when people on a bbq forum start hanging off a guy's nuts because he keeps repeating the same sh*t over and over again about how a brisket should be cooked, he thinks he's better than the rest of the human population.

Never liked your holier than thou attitude before, and this post confirms just how much of an arrogant jack@ss you are.

Well said. +1

Bad deal. I use the little cans for tailgating, and there is some sort of relief valve looking thing on the top. :sad:

the fire chief concluded that radiant heat caused the chain of events that resulted in the explosion. For those that use gas grills, there is always radiant heat within very close proximity to these tanks by design, so it seems to me that there is a good chance of a defective tank, valve, or whatever attachment they had on the valve. In other words, a products liability claim (lawsuit) may follow for damages resulting from someone's negligence in the product chain. This is something the family of those injured/killed might/should look into.

radiant heat

it sounds like they may halve set tank on top of fire box thats why you must always use safety i know the saftey man is the most hated man on the job but alot can be learned from them which can be applied at home

It is sad and my sympathy goes to the family. I'm sure anyone in that family will not make a similar mistake. The really sad thing is people who look at this and declare the stupidity of things. " They would never do anything like that." Compressed gas is dangerous and as such is sold to individuals for home use. I argued years ago with people who saw nothing wrong with using commercial gas cookers, much less Rube Goldberg cookers in contests. If I had my way compressed gas in any form would not be allowed at contests. There have been accidents injuring the cooks using the cookers. Luckily no one else has been injured.

Every small cylinder I have used has a pressure release valve! I just looked at 50 at work propane and mapp they all have them.

Wait. Can you point it out on this pic? I may have a preconcieved notion of what one should look like so I could easily be mistaken. That wouldn't be the first time THAT's happened...

reg2mapptank.jpg

My heart goes out to their families.Very sad and a lesson to be learned on safety.I saw something in the news recently about a tank blowing from a food trailer at an athletic event that injured several people.I just replaced one of my new tanks that started whistling after opening the valve.Thank GOD I heard it before firing the grill.

Accidents do happen - even to the most careful.

I had a recent incident using a very common, commercially available blowtorch, fitted to a disposible butane can. I use it for all manner of things - this time I was soldering water pipes. Unbeknown to me, the O-ring in the fitting on the torch (only 2 years old) had split, and part way into the job a ring of fire sprayed out horizontally between the top of the can & the rim of the torch.

As I was soldering water pipes in the garage under the house, I had turned off the mains, and had no water to attempt to put it out. My initial thought was to drop the whole shooting match into a bucket of water - but there was no way I could make that happen. 2nd thought was to run, but I didn't want to burn the house down!

Luckily, being in the garage, I did have a fire blanket and several wollen rugs handy to smother it with - putting out the flames, and giving me a chance to disconnect the now melted torch from the gas canister, to stop the flow of gas.

That could have easily been an explosion through no fault of my own. You'd expect a 15 year old torch to have a suspicious O-ring in it, not a 2 year old one that had been used 8-10 times.

It's because of this experience that I only use a chimney to light charcoal, and would never consider a weed burner or similar time-saver.

Back