THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad indeed. I can't imagine putting any petroleum product near a fire or heat, but hey, we have all done stupid stuff in our lives. Fortunately we did not pay with our lives.

FILLMORE (CBSLA.com) — A 41-year-old Fillmore woman has died from injuries she suffered when a handheld propane torch exploded at a backyard cookout over the weekend.
Authorities said Astrid Marmont was killed and her 38-year-old husband suffered critical injuries after the propane tank burst and sent shrapnel into the victims Sunday night at a home in the 1000 Candelaria Lane.
Rick Nance was one of many neighbors who ran to the house after hearing screams for help.
“I was doing what I could for her, but there was not much they could do, you know?” he said. “This situation, I’ve never heard of it. I hope to never see it or hear about it again.”

Chief Rigo Landeros of the Fillmore Fire Department responded to the scene and explained what he believed happened.
“They lit the charcoal barbeque with the device. They set it on the side of the barbeque, right on the shelf. The container was getting heated by the radiant heat from the actual barbeque itself. The canister actually exploded,” he said.
Landeros said the gas inside the propane tank expanded and ultimately caused the explosion.
He said people should read the instructions on the canister to avoid a similar occurrence.
“Store (the propane torch) in a cool place. When you’re using it, do not expose it to radiant heat,” said Landeros.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...eld-propane-torch-explodes-at-family-cookout/
That's really tragic! This is a good reminder to not get too complacent while using propane, fluid or any other flammables. My thoughts and a prayer are with that family.:shock::cry:

That was my first thought as well. Unless it was one of those older propane tanks.

Tragic accident indeed.

At a guess from the way the article reads it was one of the Coleman or Bernzomatic(SIC) propane tanks...not sure if those guys have a pressure valve in them.

I though the whole pressure valve safety thing had to do with the grill tanks.

Of course, they could have had the hand-held job rigged accidentally to where the pressure valve was locked or blocked somehow.

Not sure...I just know enough to not put anything combustible near my grill. this also includes beer and cheese cause warm beer is nasty and melted cheese is hard to put on burgers.

Weber Performer has one of those very same small gas cannisters hanging only about a foot away from the charcoal bowl. Now I am going to think about it.

Darwin Award candidates.

Seriously??? :shock:

I bet there was alcohol involved that clouded better judgement, on the sunny side the herd has been culled hopefully stifling this blight on the the human gene pool.

You know this to be factual??? :evil:

Accidents happen every day where there is no alcohol are involved.

I honestly believe the Original Poster here just wanted to pass along a very real accident that took place for all the Brethren.
I am sure it was not to berate, belittle or hammer the victims in any way.

Weber Performer has one of those very same small gas cannisters hanging only about a foot away from the charcoal bowl. Now I am going to think about it.

Not that I'm a scientist or expert or anything...but to me it seems most of the heat radiates up...not out through the lower bowl.

I have put my hand on the tank when using the performer. It was warm but not hot. They must have gotten that thing really hot in order for it to blow! Horrible tragedy!

Darwin Award candidates.
Well... Smitty..
[How's all that Jack-Slappin' working for ya?]

I'll stick up for ya...
Lighting a charcoal grill with a propane torch, and then laying the torch on a shelf by the fire? Seriously?
WTF did they think would happen?

YES, it's a serious tragedy (I GET THAT).
But, so is a "whoopsie" while doing the Tango on a skyscraper ledge.

If the Fire Chief is wrong (I doubt it), then I apologize.
Otherwise, y'all relax and pass the Darwin Award.

Sorry.
Awrighten.

Well i have to humble myself . i re read the post . And i say that made about as much sence as washing your feet with your socks on . WTF was she thinking . my god i think i will go jump from a perfectly good plane with no parashoot . Hell the ground ain't that hard

I bet there was alcohol involved that clouded better judgement, on the sunny side the herd has been culled hopefully stifling this blight on the the human gene pool.

Well, that is one way this thing may have gone down.

Another way it may have gone down is that some reasonably intelligent people made a mistake -- something I am occasionally guilty of doing, with or without alcohol. So far, my mistakes haven't killed me.

When a man says, "Hold my beer and watch this," and proceeds to do something that no reasonable person would do, and dies, one may be justified in saying the herd is culled, although one would still be a farking dick for being happy about another person's death.

We do not know whether alcohol was involved in this woman's death, and I can't do an IQ test from an online news story. You definitely have me on that one -- you seem to be smarter than the rest of us, lately. But, if you think this person's death is a good thing, "stifling this blight on the the human gene pool," IMO, you sir, are a dick.

CD

Back