THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
About to embark on a fun experiment today as we enjoy our first day of Fall weather and temps. The windows are open. The A/C is off. The wind is up.

Tried the Spice Goddess - Moroccan Twist blend on some chicken thighs about a week ago with good results. So, I'm going to hit some wings a bit harder with the mixture for a trip through North Africa.

We've been thinking about chicken wings from India for a while. I did a fair amount of research on the forum and found plenty of folks using a generic curry powder on some bird, but never something closer to a Chicken Tikka like I've had from plenty of Indian joints around the globe.

Here's the Tikka Powder I'm using - Can't find the source, so I can't give credit where it's due... but I can't claim the recipe:
• 6 teaspoons coriander
• 6 teaspoons cumin
• 6 teaspoons garlic powder
• 6 teaspoons paprika
• 4 teaspoons garam masala
• 3 teaspoons ginger, ground
• 3 teaspoons dried mint
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
Notice that there's no salt in the mixture, so I'll need to properly season the bird before/during application.

We're still working on the "sauce" for the Indian wings. Shooting for something closer to a vindaloo or phal than a masala. Very much in the planning stages.

Instead of serving with American-style salad dressing (Ranch or Bleu Cheese), we're going with a Raita (Plain Yogurt... we like the Greek style, finely chopped cucumber, finely chopped onion, a little garlic powder, some finely chopped coriander and/or mint... we really like a mix of both) to help cool the fire.

I don't have a vortex or the tools to make something on short notice. Thoughts on using my fire bricks in a box formation in the middle of the kettle to approximate the idea?

More to come. Football kicking off here, so I'll sign off for a while.

Go, Cardiac Cats!

Bird divided into ziptop bags. Rub applied to both sets.

Did some clean-out and some rearranging of my firebricks and such in my 22.5 kettle to approximate the idea of the Vortex.

2016-09-25%2012.19.06_zps5bbxtle1.jpg

Decided to have some chili dawgs and ABTs to test out this cooking setup (a few hours ahead of wing cooking time).

2016-09-25%2013.07.44_zpsa7zo5c24.jpg

Should be rather interesting / tasty.

More to come.

I've never cooked hotdogs on a hot indirect setup. I think I'm a big fan / convert.
Nicely done... nice snap in the casing... not overly charred.

Just pulled the ABTs off the grill. This method worked nicely for them, too!

2016-09-25%2014.24.35_zpsfaby9hwy.jpg

I come inside and the next thing I know, the munchkin's decided to flip from sitting/scooting to hands/knees and she's going after toys (while making unhappy noises all along)!

2016-09-25%2014.05.02_zpsjnroxjnv.jpg

We're in trouble, now!

Just got saucy with the wife.

Put a bit of gee, diced onion, and minced garlic in a skillet to sweat over medium-low heat.

2016-09-25%2015.13.23_zpsfozgxojo.jpg

Once the onions turned translucent, I added a couple Tbsp of Mr. Patak's Hot Curry Paste.

2016-09-25%2015.15.59_zps0ujt5pqc.jpg

Added a few Tbsp of tomato paste to increase the volume.

2016-09-25%2015.27.20_zpsyqovuplv.jpg

It was good on the flavor side, but I wanted to thin it out a piece. Momma suggested using low sodium chicken stock to help thin it out while adding flavor. I knew there's a reason I married that girl...

2016-09-25%2015.45.39_zpsp7cic3xk.jpg

Added additional peppers of various sorts until happy with the heat level... and called it good!

Got busy with the Riata -

Combined diced onion, cucumber, Greek yogurt, garlic powder, and mint (somebody... me... didn't check the fresh cilantro to see how "fresh" it was... not so much).

2016-09-25%2016.00.32_zpsmocrro6b.jpg

2016-09-25%2016.04.59_zpspa6iatnk.jpg

That should do nicely to help cool the fire we're planning to build in our own mouths.

More to come.

Moroccan Wings:

2016-09-25%2017.38.16_zpsdzywyule.jpg

Chicken Tikka Wings:

2016-09-25%2017.38.27_zps0rw8xy8d.jpg

All the kids in the sauna!

2016-09-25%2017.38.06_zpsjanvi7qu.jpg

Pulled the Moroccan Bird:

2016-09-25%2018.32.16_zps9u6ven79.jpg

Pulled the Chicken Tikka and gave them a good toss in the Vindaloo sauce.
2016-09-25%2018.31.42_zpsebnxekpt.jpg

Plated with the Riata:
2016-09-25%2018.42.03_zpswcybavs8.jpg

This was ridiculously good. So many of you make better wings than I do, but I seriously suggest something new in the spice department. Moroccan and Indian are excellent flavors and adventures for a night of wings.

I hope that some of you will give this a shot in the future.

Note on the "firebrick vortex" - It's probably not as effective as the "real" vortex, but I'm really impressed with the wonderful crispy skin on all the wings (not to mention the ABTs and hotdogs from earlier) tonight. Give it a try.

Thanks for looking. Have a great Sunday evening.

That looks amazing

You're most kind, Big George.

This is a great idea
consider it stolen.

Denied.

Everything I post is for anyone to thoroughly bogart and make better.

Thus, it can't be stolen. :razz:

Enjoy, man... heck, it's just nice to know if it works well for you in the future.

Back