THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if you let the barrel dry out until gaps started to form. Then, you grind down the rivets and losen the bands a few at a time. Then drive some self tapping screws into each stave where the band sits on it and as you move on to each stave you close the gaps and drive another screw into each stave. In the end, you close up all the gaps and the self tapping screws will hold the straps and staves as well as the whole barrel together. Lots of work, but sounds like it would work in theory anyway.
Did I make any sense?:-D

I have now officially abandoned this project. I'm getting me some liquid smoke and George Foreman grill...

I have now officially abandoned this project. I'm getting me some liquid smoke and George Foreman grill...

I had a feeling that was coming. :lol:

This project looks like its more trouble than its worth. Just build a UDS and be done with it.

LMAO!! Go with the UDS instead. A smoker made out of wood just doesn't seem to be the best idea..........

Don't forget you can boil the ribs in 1/2 water & 1/2 liqud smoke solution to get that good smokey taste.

BobBrisket, that might sound like a sound idea, but I think it is the swelling of the staves that make the barrels liquid tight. I know barrel making is a art in itself so I doubt that your method would have much of a chance and seems alot of work to me.

You Gotta Admit That The Coolness Factor is Way Up There, Though..
08fa88acbf90bf495c7f681157e11c41.jpg

Back