THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

BIGBrandon2785

I add ed a few flavors to a brine I found.Im just scared it could be too salty??

1 box chicken stock
1/4 Cup salt
1/2 brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground Thyme
1/2 tablespoon ground rosemary
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon peppercorns
1 1/2 tablespoon Plowboys Yardbird rub
1 Gallon of water

Might be low on the salt, depending on how much is in the Chicken Stock. The minimum amount of salt per gallon of brine is usually 1/2 cup per gallon. Other than that, it looks like a winner to me!:thumb:

Interested as well - wife bought the turkey and picked one up that has 8% solution added - would like to add some more flavor to it.

Will be frying mine, going to rub pretty liberally as well.

:doh: I missed the part about "enhanced"! :doh: I guess your brine is spot on then! Although...I have to wonder how it is a brine with that little salt...but oh well!:thumb:

:doh: I missed the part about "enhanced"! :doh: I guess your brine is spot on then! Although...I have to wonder how it is a brine with that little salt...but oh well!:thumb:
I was just scared maybe the Yardbird and chicken broth would salt

I was just scared maybe the Yardbird and chicken broth would salt
They will add salt, but probably not 1/4 cup worth of salt. You might get close to a tablespoon from the Plowboys (probably less), leaving you with 3 more tablespoons of salt to get to 1/2 cup total. I'm not sure how much salt is in that broth...but considering it is just one box, there is probably not 3 tablespoons in there or else the broth itself would taste like a brine.

Until this year, I never heard about cutting the salt in half for enhanced birds. I've cooked enhanced birds before and brined them in solutions using 3/4 cup salt per gallon of water, and had no problems at all. However, considering who the folks are that were suggesting that the salt be cut in half, I believe they know something. However, I do believe the rule still remains that anything less than 1/2 cup per gallon is not a brine, whether it is an enhanced bird or not. I'll let them speak to this however.:wink:

They will add salt, but probably not 1/4 cup worth of salt. You might get close to a tablespoon from the Plowboys (probably less), leaving you with 3 more tablespoons of salt to get to 1/2 cup total. I'm not sure how much salt is in that broth...but considering it is just one box, there is probably not 3 tablespoons in there or else the broth itself would taste like a brine.

Until this year, I never heard about cutting the salt in half for enhanced birds. I've cooked enhanced birds before and brined them in solutions using 3/4 cup salt per gallon of water, and had no problems at all. However, considering who the folks are that were suggesting that the salt be cut in half, I believe they know something. However, I do believe the rule still remains that anything less than 1/2 cup per gallon is not a brine, whether it is an enhanced bird or not. I'll let them speak to this however.:wink:
I added in between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of salt.I called it 1/4 just because I wasent exactly sure of the measurement.Im sure that is not a big deal that it wont make a diffrence,but it's too late that sucker has been soaking for about 5 hours now:-D.Im just hoping between the enhanced bird,the some what brine and the injecter kit it will be as juicy as can be:-D.

It sounds decent to me too. I agree with earlier posts (check the ingredients in the broth). Not familiar with the plowboys rub either and I would check that also, especially since you are adding the other herbs and spice. Don't want a clash.

Back