THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

so what's the best way to get make a wild hog hairless? i've seen some threads where the hog is boiled and then the hair is pulled off, and some where the hair is burned off with a torch. any input on the best method for that?

those are some nice hogs! i hope mine comes out like that. did you cook them using an indirect pit or did you set coals underneath the shoulders and butts?

thanks.

After we slaughter (domestic) we boil a cauldron of water then put burlap bags over the animal, pour boiling water over the sacks, wait a bit, then start scraping. We use a searzall to get the hairs off the crevices.

what temp do you recommend? i cook my butts to around 200F. is that too hot for a whole pig? i know the loins and tenderloins may get overcooked if i cook for that long. what do you recommend to prevent that?

thanks again for the advice.

I've cooked them anywhere from 225F to 295F. I know some cook them at higher temps. My favorite would probably be 250F.

I like to inject everything, especially the back loins and tenderloins. Then use bacon over the mid section to help keep it moist. If you are doing the pig racing style, cabbages in the center help (per Brethren gtr Greg's cooks).

Cover anything with foil if it's browning too fast.

I'm probably leaving out a lot. Inject and rub the pig, cover ears, snout and feet with foil if necessary.
Good luck to you!

I've done lots of young pigs. 100lbs is as big as I would want to do.
When scaulding you don't want your water to quite be at the boiling point. At least on domestics that hair will come off like butter if that water temp is just right. The place that I used to get them at had a dozen or so bath tubs filled with water and wood fires under them. The guy that owned the place would watch the water for us and add a little cold if it got too hot. We never used a thermometer so I can't tell you exact temp but never a full boil. We would drop the whole pig in the water for maybe a minute. Probably less. Pull it out and start scrapping. If the water is too hot though you'll be burning it with a torch!
If you want a really awesome pig stuff it with black beans and rice and sew up the cavity. We cooked ours about 16 hrs at 225 if I remember right. Sorry it's been 10 yrs or longer since I've done it but now I kinda want to!

Back