THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CKYnick

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey guys,

Before I start my rant, I was wondering who has ever tried/cooked they delicious morsels? They are fully cooked but have you guys found any good techniques reheating these??

Sooo, Ive looked up old posts but they are to old to re incarnate. Sooo, a local pub Ive been going to for a while had hog wings when they first opened. To me they are better then any ribs i've made or eaten. The pub offered two wings at happy hour for 6 bucks, not bad considering one hog wing is like having two baby back ribs. Regular priced they were $11 but you got three, still not bad to me.

Annnyway, they were taken off the menu for a couple of years, i figured they are hard to come by. So just recently they returned to the menu at $12 bucks for two....say what!

So i have been determined to find these bad boys and figure out their true cost. I called my local butcher, I asked for small pork shanks as i knew thas what they were, couldnt get them. I found the website online that sells them but i couldnt justify the shipping costs. Finally, i didnt even think to but I searched on here and found out that restaurant depot sells them. Boom I go there today, they have kc's wild wings, pig wings!

Crazy to me, I cooked some tonight, they are they exact same size, flavor and texture as I get when going to the bar. They were $53, you get 36 so if you break that down they are $1.47/ea at the bar they are $6/ea....that is crazy. Knowing they probably get them even slighlty cheaper. I'd give it to them if they had to get them to tenderness but they are fully and perfectly cooked.

Thats my rant and i am sticking to it..

I searched for these earlier this year and was able to find them at a local specialty store. They didn't stock them but were able to order a case of 36 of them. It cost $75 for the case and they came frozen. Just had to thaw them out and throw them on the UDS for 1-2 hours. They were Farmland brand.

They were pretty damn good and fun as a novelty. I won't be buying them on a regular basis due to the price.

There is a restaurant here in KC that sells what they call "asian pig wings" and oh.my.god are they one of the best things I've ever eaten.
From what I can tell they are pork shanks braised then fried in shortening to give the outside a nice crunch then drizzled in some sticky asian/teriyaki type sauce.
There is tons of meat on them and they have some of the richest pork flavor I've ever had.

Thanks guys! Ive seen malcom's and his look good and similar to what I will do. These thins are well worth the cost if hou can get em.

I tried finding them uncooked, but apparently its a smaller cut of the pork shank. My butcher told me he could get them and then reneged. Pork shanks themselves seem to be on the large side with a much larger knuckle on one side, unlike these hog wings.

I work in Foodservice and the first company to start marketing "Pig Wings" was Smithfield, so you might want to get on their website, or call them to find a dealer near you.

Just found them at Cash & Carry in Vancouver, WA. If you have Cash & Carry in your area, give them a call. Item # 37398.

Back