THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bwick84

Knows what a fatty is.
My buddy was celebrating his 40th birthday a couple weekends ago and he asked me if I would smoke a pig for him. I'd never done a whole hog before but I figured why the heck not. He said we'd be cooking for around 50ish people including some kids so I told him to buy a 75lb hog. Naturally, he bought one that weighed 103lbs.

Since I don't have a smoker big enough I told him we could build a cinderblock pit. He found the blocks for free on craigslist and had his buddy weld up some horseshoes for handles on the metal sheets.

cgKkdGX.jpg

When he ordered the hog he said it would come frozen and it would be available the Monday before the party (which was on a Saturday). I was worried about it thawing on time and the butcher said he couldn't thaw it for us due to some regulations. Well the good news is it came flash frozen not frozen solid like I had originally thought (I was worried about it thawing in time). So he built a cooler out of some plywood and styrofoam he had lying around. We ended up picking it up on Tuesday and the ice lasted all the way to Friday when we took it out.

GSlHrz1.jpg

Here is "Marko". His kids named it after their interpretation of a guy named Mark that they know.

38oJ9SG.jpg

All trimmed up.

geniil2.jpg

Put some oil and my own rub on it.

4PhrLQ4.jpg

We put her on at around 4:30 in the morning and planned on eating around 6. We just did coals on each end throughout the cook.

4ISLmyn.jpg

Here is our burn barrel. We used apple wood coals throughout the cook. Once it got up to temp it held really well at the 250 degrees I was looking for. Only really needed to put a half shovel of coals on each side probably every 40 minutes.

WwvlvdD.jpg

This is part way through the cook. I want to say it was around 2:00 but can't remember for sure. This was the only time we opened up the pit during the cook.

Yd3XsjK.jpg

xCL4b3f.jpg

We stopped adding coals at around 4:30 and then at 5 I opened up the top a little to cool the air temp down and let it rest for an hour. With the bricks warm it still stayed around 140-150 in there which was perfect. I believe the meat temp was around 195 but I had quite a few beers in me at that point so my memory is a little hazy.

OPrY2RN.jpg

Then we just lifted it up and laid it on top of the metal plates on the smoker and started pulling.

bUFvN5P.jpg

irI2Uap.jpg

Everyone thought it was delicious. He ended up giving away quite a few gallon bags of leftovers. I know you can cook each individual piece to have a better flavor, but I'd definitely recommend trying it at least once. It was fun and definitely has the wow factor.

We also got some work done on Mega Fort since we were smoking right next to it.

12144771_1058289227523436_8194308179982624206_n.jpg

Love that! I've done a few in my offset, but I'd love to do one that way one day - or night as the case may be. Pig roast = fun - every time!

As someone who has been researching block pit builds, yours looks killer!

How much wood did you use burning it down to coals and at what interval were you throwing in splits or logs to keep a constant feed for your pit?

As someone who has been researching block pit builds, yours looks killer!

How much wood did you use burning it down to coals and at what interval were you throwing in splits or logs to keep a constant feed for your pit?

We really didn't need that much wood. Hard to measure because we had gotten a whole cord since I needed it anyway and were just grabbing armfuls out of the trailer. I was surprised at how well it held temp. I know the blocks retain some heat but there's still lots of air gaps.

Are you asking how often I threw logs in the burn barrel? We started with quite a few to get the coals going but then it was maybe 2 or 3 logs every time we put coals in the pit (roughly every 40 minutes). The outside temps started in the high 50s and ended in the mid 70s to give you an idea of weather.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking. Was just trying to gauge how much wood I need to stack up. The whole cook looks awesome. :thumb:

Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking. Was just trying to gauge how much wood I need to stack up. The whole cook looks awesome. :thumb:

Thanks! You said you were researching pit builds, you should definitely give it a try sometime. It was a lot of fun.

Thanks! You said you were researching pit builds, you should definitely give it a try sometime. It was a lot of fun.

I am definitely going to do it and I keep coming back to this thread. Obviously your distance to the coals was perfect for this whole hog. Do you think if you were doing butts/picnics/ribs that you would keep the grate at the same level or maybe raise it by a block?

Basically thinking that I will never cook a whole hog and usually only cook for me and the wife so don't want to build something completely overkill. Just haven't seen any smaller scale pits yet in my research.

Sounds like it's time to stop talking about it and be about it :tape:

I love block pit pigs. Yours looks delicious!!
Great fort too!

I am definitely going to do it and I keep coming back to this thread. Obviously your distance to the coals was perfect for this whole hog. Do you think if you were doing butts/picnics/ribs that you would keep the grate at the same level or maybe raise it by a block?

Basically thinking that I will never cook a whole hog and usually only cook for me and the wife so don't want to build something completely overkill. Just haven't seen any smaller scale pits yet in my research.

Sounds like it's time to stop talking about it and be about it :tape:

I think the grate level would be fine for butts/ribs/etc. you would just want to not put any right over the coals and if you're doing a bunch you might want to rotate them around since the middle will probably be just slightly cooler.

Back