THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stays at the temp I set it. Doesn't require messing with P settings. Has narrow temp swings of 10* or less, never was able to get better than 50* with my Traeger. Has a remote control, programmable cooks, alarms, multiple food probes, can ramp cooks up and down based on time or meat temp. Has a warming drawer for keeping serving plates warm or cold smoking cheese. Quick dump pellet door for easy changes of pellet types. Flame zone for higher heat searing. Well worth the extra investment for me.

It's the old you gets what you pay for :-D

Stays at the temp I set it. Doesn't require messing with P settings. Has narrow temp swings of 10* or less, never was able to get better than 50* with my Traeger. Has a remote control, programmable cooks, alarms, multiple food probes, can ramp cooks up and down based on time or meat temp. Has a warming drawer for keeping serving plates warm or cold smoking cheese. Quick dump pellet door for easy changes of pellet types. Flame zone for higher heat searing. Well worth the extra investment for me.
Well said!

Always find the funny in the bias people have against pellet poopers. Kingsford charcoal is the same thing as pellet fuel. Processed charcoal and re-formed into briquettes. Pellets are processed wood formed into pellets. Each offers itself as fuel. However the fact that pellet cookers are plugged in somehow offends the bbq purists who profess that the only "real" cooker is an American made steel cooker. These are people that drive cars with foreign parts, wear shoes made in China, shirts from Taiwan and home electronics from Japan and Korea, yet are steadfast in proclaiming anything in BBQ made in China to be junk. Good humor, we are all here to share bbq love guys, why the hate? It's all good.
Really! I once heard a guy say that he'd rather cook on a piece of junk made in the USA than cook on something made in China. Now that just doesn't make sense. Get your head out of your --- and take a look around...we're part of the world now! If it works well, use it! Like any other manufacturer, they just build it to the specs they're given...that's it. Cracks me up, because China and most of the other Asian countries have been doing "low and slow" since long before the USA was even the USA.
Sorry...went through this same thing with woodworking machines a few years back.

Don't have a pellet cooker,but am thinking about getting one. To get more smoke,wouldn't it be possible to add a foil packet of chips in the cooker to get some more smoke ?

Don't have a pellet cooker,but am thinking about getting one. To get more smoke,wouldn't it be possible to add a foil packet of chips in the cooker to get some more smoke ?

Sure you can do that however something more sofisticated such as the A-MAZ-N or Smoke Daddy would work better. Two big factors in smoke production in a pellet smoker are the type and brand of pellets you are using and the temperature you a cooking at. The higher the cooking temperature the less smoke you will get.

1: I can sleep with no issues through the night

2: NSF rated

I love my FEC100 and I am considering buying 2 FEC120's now. I still have my SouthWest stick burner and doubtful Ill sell that either

I was able to come across a traeger burner assembly (hopper, digital controller, auger) for next to nothing ($135).

IMAG0189.jpg

I built my own cabinet double walled with 1200 insulation and a lowered exhaust like the FECs. I love it and it holds temp very well.

IMG_20120129_171915.jpg

Now has four racks that I can fit two full size steam table pans on each.

I've had it above 500 degrees, not quite true gilling but does work.

IMG_20120129_171848.jpg

I heard that if you soak your pellets first you'll get a lot more smoke... Just kidding guys!! I don't have a P-Pooper but a friend does. Works just fine IMO. It truly is a set & forget cooker and he has that puppy figured out to a T. I'd have one my self if the funds were there... Cheers!!!

Don't judge all pellet smokers based on some piece of garbage made in China. My MAK is made in the USA and works better than that knockoff stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 I have a Mak and an earlier Traeger. I just like the convenience. The smoke is fine for everything that I have done. Maybe someday I will have a stickburner. Nothing against them, I just like my pellet pooper. I enjoy reading about all smokers.
Life is too short to not look at everything. Although it does get me in trouble occasionally.:biggrin1:

I wonder if it makes more sense to use a gas grill and an amazin.

As my man Alton Brown once said, "As for gas grills bad news. Even the best gas grills cannot produce real barbecue because when propane burns it creates water vapor, and that water vapor kind of creates a protective barrier between the smoke and the meat . . . "

Back