THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TurboDog

Knows what a fatty is.
I have a 15 pound pork shoulder that I plan on cooking tomorrow on the UDS. In the past I have cooked butts , but never whole shoulders , not sure it makes much of a difference. I also have never followed a recipe , sometimes they come out great , others not so much. I usually just rub them down with what ever I have on hand and throw them on at 250 for about 6 or 8 hours till they just about to fall apart.

I am cooking this one for a group of people that are coming over for a Halloween party tomorrow night , and I really want to knock it out of the park. My first inclination is to follow Chris Lilly's award winnig pork butt recipe , but I'm open to suggestions. I am sure I am in the right place to get some sound advice , thanks in advance.

Bump the temp up to 300-325 and cook it on the bottom rack. Skin up for 2-3 hours then flip until it's done. Hopefully that crisps up your skin nicely. Season with just salt...season the skin. Pull or chop...seasoning with a little more salt and just a little vinegar sauce. Have a little tomato in your sauce and you just made Lexington North Carolina style barbecue. Enjoy!

Bump the temp up to 300-325 and cook it on the bottom rack. Skin up for 2-3 hours then flip until it's done. Hopefully that crisps up your skin nicely. Season with just salt...season the skin. Pull or chop...seasoning with a little more salt and just a little vinegar sauce. Have a little tomato in your sauce and you just made Lexington North Carolina style barbecue. Enjoy!

x2:clap2:

If you want to do an injection, Chris Lilly's is great. When I inject, I usually do it the night before. Then I will rub and plastic wrap the butt overnight in the fridge. Add a little more rub before cooking.

Back