THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
First...let me preface this by saying this is in no way the definitive way to cook a pig...it's just the way I do it. The process is pretty simple and basic...I like things uncomplicated.

Got Bessie here (around 90#) out of the cooler. First I dry off the skin with paper towels. Then, I put olive oil all over her. The tail section was open more than usual so I tied the back hips together so they would cook evenly and not too quickly. I don't use any rub at all....just lube her up and put her into the smoke. My cooker was preheated to 275 but bounced around from 250-325 during the cook. And that's fine with me because trying to keep one temp for that long would drive me insane....and take some of the fun out of the cook.

Using oak, Bessie took about 9 hours to cook. When the ears, nose, and feet started getting done, I foiled them so they wouldn't burn and turn to crap. Her final internal temps I did not take, but just by the feeling of the hams I knew she was done. She rested for about an hour and then we dug right in. The meat pulled apart effortlessly and was super juicy. People had a great time and enjoyed the pork a lot.

Cooking whole hog can be as simple or as complicated as you desire. I would HIGHLY suggest those thinking about cooking a pig jump right in and do it...you'll love it. Thanks for looking.....

Last edited:
Looks great. For a point fo reference, can you tell us the size of your cooking chamber?

It's a 300 gallon propane tank. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions but it can hold a WAY bigger hog....

Why open cavity down, I want to do one but figured it was better if back was down??

I just like the way the cavity down looks for presentation. Plus...I've never tried a skin down cook but might try this fall. I have 2 other cooks scheduled because of this cook and they all said they loved the presentation...so those won't be the experimental skin down cooks....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Looks great! I did my first, and only, pig on Memorial day weekend this year. Mine was about the same size as yours. It was way easier then I thought it would be. Thx for sharing.

Back