THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nachos4life

Take a breath!
From the questions on the link you posted.
Question:
Is this cooler large enough to marinate a whole hog, 120 lb. live weight?
Answer:
Yes

I've got a 150 qt Igloo cooler and I did a 94Lb pig over Labor Day...it would not fit and it wasn't even close. I ended up using a storage container I had bought from Walmart which had no insulation but it was about twice the size of the 150qt cooler. The pig fit just fine and the butcher shop set me up with enough ice to get it home with no issues.

This is why people go the route of tarps, kiddie swimming pools, or keeping them upright in a trash can (for a brine). Personally I would go with the trash can because it will allow you to tote a good sized pig easily and with enough room to get ice all around it. It will also protect it from the elements much better than a swimming pool or tarp.

Hi folks,

been away for a while and looks I'm back right in time. Bought myself a Meadow Creek PR 60 these days and had the same future problem.
I found a nice idea here: Rustic Cooler
Might be useful (but not so handy as Yeti cooler)

Regards

I have been using a sears car top luggage carrier for years. I carry it in the back of the pick-up. Lay some plastic in first, then a small bed of ice then the pig and more ice...works perfect for up to a couple days

I have a 150 qt. cooler that I put pigs in fairly often, but I've never gotten one bigger than around 75#. They fit easily with room to spare for a couple 20# bags of ice. I've also used large plastic totes like you get at Home Depot and places like that.

I used an extra large disposable body bag that worked pretty well. I could have washed it out and reused it, but had a lot going on so got lazy. The handles on it make it nice for lifting and moving as needed. I think it cost ~ $20 or $30.

I have been using a sears car top luggage carrier for years. I carry it in the back of the pick-up. Lay some plastic in first, then a small bed of ice then the pig and more ice...works perfect for up to a couple days

Same.

I painted it white with some old house paint to reflect some heat. sprayed some foam on the inside of the lid. Made a big difference. Didn't want to foam the bottom because of bacteria.

2229927.jpgI'm looking into getting one of these from Tractor Supply....would only need the 50 gallon for keeping the hog on ice....but thinking the 100 gallon would be nice to double as an emergency refrigerator during an extended power outage or if the fridge or freezer dies.

^^^that bag is great for when you do 'em on the rotissirie 'cause you can get the pig all set to go on the spit the night before & then stick it in that bag. Saves a lot of time in the morning.

I may have to repurpose a old chest freezer i have ,its about 8’ long and is 40 years old would have to put a fridge thermostat in it so it don’t freeze $50 or less to convert it probably

Back