THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jbone3652

Knows what a fatty is.
I had a Horizon Marshall, Assassin 36 and i have a UDS parts barrel right now which is a copy of the gateway barrels. I love my barrel which ill keep probably forever, but i have the opportunity to buy a Rebel 28 used for a good price. The smoker needs gaskets and new latches, little touch up paint and a cleaning. my problem is i can build two more barrels for the price of that one smoker. I do some competitions around KC, i cook for a couple parties every year. I like the ease of moving the barrels, but they are limited on space. I never really have problems with the cold weather with my barrel so insulation isn't a problem with them. The rebel is insulated, lots of cooking area and can be controlled with a bbq guru. But the rebel is super heavy, awkward and always needs a trailer.]

lets hear your thoughts.

Doesn't sound like it really meets your needs for comps. Insulated doesn't buy you anything because your barrels hold temp fine. So the only thing it provides you is more space. If that is important and you don't have to haul it around, have at it.

Besides, new toys are always fun.

Just note,
Gravity feed typically have a lighter smoke profile than your other cookers.
Requirement for 110v/12v for controller
Requirement of a trailer. But you might need one for 3 or 4 drums. If you do not have a truck.
Extra hands to load/unload like mentioned.

One plus, more grates.
Can run longer than your drums by adding more fuel. If that was ever needed.

Weld a D Ring to the gravity fed and pull it up on the trailer with a winch or come-along which can be done solo.
I'd much rather have the capacity of the gravity feed than messing around with 3 or 4 drums.

Weld a D Ring to the gravity fed and pull it up on the trailer with a winch or come-along which can be done solo.
I'd much rather have the capacity of the gravity feed than messing around with 3 or 4 drums.
This and managing multiple fires.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Multiple drums allows multiple temps for different proteins.
Fire/temp management on drums is easy. Temp changes up/down is also much faster than any insulated cooker.
No electronics required.
Just sayin

But I do like having more capacity in one cooker when required.

Last edited:
ill be honest, my barrel will hold temp really well. i rarely have to jack with the intakes, my favorite part is fire management. Did i mention this Rebel smoker needs, slam latches, gaskets and some touch up paint.

Back