THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tbag

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi.

This is my first post in this forum. I'm a guy from Norway (Europe) who loves to grill. Found this forum and thought I'd add some posts with all the questions I have.

I'm looking to buy a new grill and I don't know which one to get.
I already have weber one touch premium 22.5 and 26.75 kettle.

After reading a lot + many hours on YouTube I think I start to know what the pro grill is all about. But there is not that much info or videos of David Klose (bbqpits.com) grills or the the yoder charcoal grill.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/charcoal24x36.html

http://bbqpits.com/backyard_grills/20x36grill_chef_grill2013.htm

http://www.primogrill.com/index.php/products/grills

Would be greatful for some tips on which to buy:) Also what's good and bad about these grills.

Your kettles can do the high heat searing that the Primo can. The Yoder or Klose would give you a lot more capacity. Capacity is the one issue I have with my kamado.

How much is freight to Norway? I would think you would be better off studying the features of these grills you like and working with a local metal fabrication shop to design and fabricate your grill locally vs shipping one of these...

3 nice "cookers" indeed. I think we could help better if we knew a bit more about you.

1) What style of cooking are you wanting to do? Grilling, roasting or low-n-slow (or all of the above)?

2) How many people do you typically cook for?

3) What type of weather conditions do you find yourself cooking in? Only pleasant weather? Or cold/windy/rainy sometimes?

If I would have bought a David Klose grill for around $1000, it would cost another $2000 for shipping + tax, so it's not cheap.

Why would I want to buy a primo instead of yoder or Klose?

Why do people buy a primo?
Why do people buy a Klose/yoder?

What are the good and bad sides about these grills?

A charcoal grill is really a metal box with two grates inside and some air flow control.

I *really* wouldn't buy a US grill and have it sent to Norway. A smoker, maybe. But a grill? Forget it. Have somebody local build you one.

3 nice "cookers" indeed. I think we could help better if we knew a bit more about you.

1) What style of cooking are you wanting to do? Grilling, roasting or low-n-slow (or all of the above)?

2) How many people do you typically cook for?

3) What type of weather conditions do you find yourself cooking in? Only pleasant weather? Or cold/windy/rainy sometimes?

I would like to do grilling,roasting and low'n slow. Half the time we grill at our house it at least 6-8 adult or more but I also two weber kettles that we can fire up if needed. Norway is not known for its warm weather so it would we good a grill that can handle the cold and rain.

There is a company here where I can buy a primo oval xl. If it's on sale I could get it for somewhere between $1400 - 1900. (Depending on the sale)

That's almost half the price of any David Klose or yoder grill.

So the question would be why would I want to pay almost twice as much for the Klose/yoder grill?

If you would have had a grill like that what would YOU use it for and what would you NOT want to with it?

Thanks for all the replies so far. Hope that you all understand my bad English:)

I think Smoking Pill Doc said it best - capactity is what you get when you buy something like a Klose or a Yoder in comparison to a Primo.

I have a buddy who competes and is a Yoder dealer. Those pellet smokers are nice, but I have my reservations about having electronically controlled anything on a smoker. In fact, I cooked with him this past weekend and we had to replace a faulty temperature gauge to get it working. This is just normal wear and tear, mind you, but it's not the kind of thing you'll ever have to do on any smoker you're just using wood or charcoal to cook with.

There are many folks here that love their Primos. It will do low and slow, and also get hot enough to make pizzas. The grill space on an XL is actually pretty good too at 25 x 18 inches. Given the shipping costs and local availability, the Primo would be my choice.

The Yoder is a great grill, as is the Primo and I'm sure the Klose as well. Both the Primo and the Yoder are going to be able to do whatever you want to, indirect cooking and direct, hot searing cooks and everything in between. There is one major trade-off. What you gain with the Yoder is capacity and what you lose is fuel efficiency. With the Primo you gain the fuel efficiency, but loose the large capacity. Based on the number of people you are cooking for and your weather conditions and price all factored, I think the Primo may be your best bet. Do you have lump charcoal readily available? The Yoder would work better with lump but could use briquettes. The a Primo really should only have lump and no lighter fluid. A Looftlighter made by your Swedish neighbors would be a good investment for fast fuel ignition with no byproducts left behind.

However, the decision is yours and I'd bet no one else anywhere near you would have a Yoder or Klose.

I'll second the Primo based on your needs/location. I do cooks with my Primo in the winter(Maine) without using too much charcoal and keeps the heat nicely. Another consideration is accessories, that will be another couple of hundred easily!

Based on what you are telling me, and after having personally cooked on a good variety of "cookers" myself... I would recommend a ceramic cooker such as the Primo you are looking at. I own a Kamado Joe Big Joe, and it is by far and away the best/easiest/most enjoyable cooker that I have ever owned.

With the Primo, you can purchase accessories that will double your cooking space. Primo's are VERY versatile and will allow you to EASILY do any type of cooking (screaming hot, roasting, low-n-slow, etc). Plus the warranty that comes with a nice ceramic cooker is another thing that really sets these units apart.

Oh yeah... wanna cook in the snow? Or gusty cold winds? You can easily do it with a ceramic cooker! They simply don't care :)

I had Klose build my 20x48 offset. It is extremely well built. However I live close enough to Houston that I was able to rent a trailer and go pick it up. Mine weighs over 800#. I can't even imagine what it would cost to ship to Norway.

Assuming that you are cooking in cooler temperatures, I think that there is a strong argument for an insulated cooker.

David

There are a lot of good arguments goings on for the primo that I completely agree. ( We do have a few different lump charcoal here to use I the primo )

I think I have got all the info I need to go for the primo:)

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Very glad that I joined in here:)

I'm too late. I agree with all the above.

Last edited:
I've had my Primo Oval XL for about 10 years now and it's an amazing cooker. As others have said, it will do low and slow to screaming hot. I live in Michigan and I use mine year round with no issues.

Good luck with your decision.

I've had my Primo Oval XL for about 10 years now and it's an amazing cooker. As others have said, it will do low and slow to screaming hot. I live in Michigan and I use mine year round with no issues.

Good luck with your decision.

Being that you have had your Primo for 10 years, and I have had my Kamado Joe for a little over a year... I am curious to know something.

How does the exterior ceramic look? Has the glaze held up? Does it still shine up nicely when cleaned? Does it look much different then the day you brought it home?

Just curious as to what I can expect a 10 year old kamado to look like?

Being that you have had your Primo for 10 years, and I have had my Kamado Joe for a little over a year... I am curious to know something.

How does the exterior ceramic look? Has the glaze held up? Does it still shine up nicely when cleaned? Does it look much different then the day you brought it home?

Just curious as to what I can expect a 10 year old kamado to look like?

Mine is the old style which is gray in color with a different hinge/band/handle setup. I keep it covered when not in use. It still looks good (it would look better if I cleaned it more often). The cart and bands have a little rust in places where the paint has chipped off.

You made the right choice if you went with the Primo, i love mine:thumb::thumb:
imagejpg1_zps175d282a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back