Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Wing

Votes: 31 21.2%
  • Leg

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Thigh

Votes: 86 58.9%

• Total voters
I never buy frozen separated wings. always whole and fresh. the quality is worlds apart

You are definitely right about the quality, however:
1) With the bag of chicken wings parts, 1 part that is not included are the wing tips, and to me that’s another inedible part that you’re paying for with fresh wings that’s totally wasted with me as I don’t make my own chicken stock. So even more $$$ saved by weight.
2) I’d wager that after the wings are dusted with your favorite rub, smoked & grilled and then glazed with a sweet and spicy sauce (or dunked in Frank’s Red Hot), most people would have a hard time picking out the fresh vs frozen wangs (if there’s a size difference, do it blindfolded with a designated holder up to your mouth). Say try 3 randomly of each this way in a test, and to further skew it to mirror reality, pound at least 1/2 beer per wing as you go along tasting. I doubt very much that most people could go 6/6.

Oh, and some other BBQ competition guys like Harry Soo will back me up on the fresh vs frozen debate as he regularly freezes his chicken thighs. So, if you take the probable difference in size out of the equation with a blindfold and designated holder for the taster, you’d really have a hard time judging the difference I bet.

Back