THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I tried a couple recipes that I didnt like, then I found Mike's Magic Dust. Since then its about all I've used. Tried a handful of commercial rubs since, but to me none were as good as the dust.

I have to say, I've never tried just a simple salt and pepper dusting, but might have to give it a try. Sometimes simpler is better.

I like the rub in Wicked Good BBQ called Ique Dry Rub. The recipe was published at the link below. I triple or quadruple the chipotle powder. I just like the flavor of it.

http://www.eatboutique.com/2012/07/02/wicked-good-barbecue/#.U73KDZVOWP8

I've used this, I've also used the Slap Yo Daddy all-purpose rub published on tvwbb.com.

I'm still looking for the perfect rub also, ideally something commercial. I don't mind mixing up my own rubs, but commercial blends just seem to be cheaper.

Thanks for the all ideas. Much appreciated. I've taken the input and gone a step further, looking at a bunch of the suggestions and crunching some numbers looking specifically at the largest constituent in each one, as well as sugar and salt quantities and ratios, both by volume and by weight and there's obviously quite a broad range. I can share findings so far if anyone is interested, but it's been a helpful exercise so far, since I can take a closer look at the "sweet" rubs and the "salty" rubs and figure out where to slot my own in, at least initially.

Plowboy's Yard Bird to start. Its a little salty so I try to sweeten or "heaten" it up to offset the salt. I'll add some SM Sweet Seduction or Spicy apple. Sometimes I let it ride on its own.

Back