THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

104timberwolf

Full Fledged Farker
Getting ready to throw on a nice 10 pounder I picked up a couple of days ago and, following the advice I've read here, going to use the probe method for doneness.

What's the best tool to accomplish this? Thanks everyone!

I use my thermopen too - double duty, but anything thin would work - bamboo or thin metal skewer works good.

I find that bamboo can have more resistance than metal probes. I would stick with an ice pick or thermometer probe. Typically have my maverick probe in until 196. Then I pull it out and use it every ~30 mins until done. Never looking at the temp after.

Just find one thing. Calibrate yourself to it. And always use the same thing and you'll be good.

I have a custom Thirdeye probe as well that works great, but since my Thermapen is always in my pocket at competitions that's what I use most often. Find something that you like to use and stick to it, don't switch up.

DSCF0066Modified2.jpg

I used a bamboo skewer yesterday and felt too much resistance. Let it go an hour more, still felt resistance. Picked up a metal probe and slid in like butter. Ended up with an over cooked brisket

I used a bamboo skewer yesterday and felt too much resistance. Let it go an hour more, still felt resistance. Picked up a metal probe and slid in like butter. Ended up with an over cooked brisket

Need to adjust your feel of probe tender with a skewer if that is your problem.

Back