THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I use a lot of CookinPellets because they don’t use 70-80% oak as a base wood and burn cleaner because they don’t use bark. I’ve also used a lot of Lumberjack and still use some because I can pick them up cheap at the local supermarket. I’ve had a couple issues with the amount of ash the LJ 100% Hickory can produce on long cooks, so usually use their OHC.

I settled into these brands before all the special blends became popular, so I was comparing 100% Hickory CookinPellets or LJ to the others that are 20-30% hickory and 70-80% oak or alder. I think most of the brand X special blends use far less or even no oak/alder so they probably produce more flavor than compared to a bag of brand X hickory.

The Tractor Supply Company near me doesn’t have them in stock and charges shipping on top of the price. I picked up a bag of Bear Mountain Bourbon BBQ for $11.99 and a bag of Pit Boss Apple to try and compare.

The Tractor Supply Company near me doesn’t have them in stock and charges shipping on top of the price. I picked up a bag of Bear Mountain Bourbon BBQ for $11.99 and a bag of Pit Boss Apple to try and compare.

They are seasonal at TSC… at least in my neck of the woods.

Back