THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought a tub of lard for first time seasoning with my offset stick burner.

My insulated cabinet smoker I used spray oil.

Spray oil is MUCH easier and faster to get into those corners and the ceiling.

I used spray canola oil from Trader Joes - it doesn't have some of the other "stuff" that PAM typically has in it.

Weber has a spray can of something or other.. picked it up at the Depot. Dunno what's inside the can tho.

I like grease that gets thicker at room temperature. So lard or even Crisco works great. However, at the end of the day your cooker will season itself so a simple spray of Pam will work just fine at kickstarting the walls getting sticky with flava.

The first time that I seasoned my pit, I used up several pieces of cans that the wife had in the cabinet that were either out of date or very close. I think there was regular Pam, some Pam Canola and even some spray olive oil. So now I have a smoker that has a universal seasoning and has really appreciated the time and effort that I took to make sure that it got a shot of many different flavors. The next time I season, I will probably stick to this very exotic recipe. It seems to work very well.

Back