THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have been thinking about this alot lately and thought I would put this out to the Brethren. For me my ultimate favorite book that I refer to all the time and pretty much read all the time is "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue" With being fairly new to competition BBQ this has been a very valuable book. My second favorite is "Smoke and Spice" Both books are very good, and have taught me alot. Now its your turn :-D

Smoke and Spice is my #2 as well. Raichlen's BBQ Bible and Indoor Grilling books are also on my shelf. #1 is a little website I stumbled across a couple of years ago. Amazingly, it's in my address bar right now...

When I was stationed in San Antone a Texan got me started with Steve R.'s BBQ Bible, How to Grill, and Beer Can Chicken. I'm still working my way through those for techniques and ideas, and there are a lot of both in there. I think they're a great all-round intro to cooking with fire (Fire & Meat 101, if you will)

BUT, everything I know about smoke/sweet blue I learned from the Brethren!:cool:

(Except par-boiling ribs. Not many of you seem to have mastered that technique yet. . . ?:twisted:)

Smoke & Spice was my first, Paul Kirks Championship BBQ got me addicted to Q. Both of these books played a big influence because of all the recipes, and I thought Paul Kirk seemed really personable in his book. After those 2 most books started bleeding together seeming like nothing new recipe-wise really. The books that I really enjoyed after that point were Peace Love and BBQ by Mike Mills and The Grand Barbecue by Doug Worgul. I liked these for the stories.

I also found the onion salt/garlic salt thing in Paul Kirks book a little annoying, but I never really was one to just follow recipes. I always tried to understand what they were trying to do and woudl ultimately tweak the recipes anyway. This was because I wanted my own rubs, sauces and styles.

I recommend three by Steven Raichlen:

The BBQ! Bible
BBQ USA
Raichlen on Ribs, Ribs, Outrageous Ribs!

All are on Amazon.com for reasonable prices.

Raichlen inspired me....Specifically "The BBQ Bible". Serious Brothers, take a look at that book. It's a great approach. Capaitalize on what we have as tradition.

IMHO, there's a need to inovate and incorporate the traditions we been given, with.... well, read the book!

Since I only have one BBQ Book and have only had it for one month. My choice is Smoke and Spice. I have enjoyed what I have read so far:icon_bigsmil

I am a huge fan of Steven Raichlen. I have:

How to grill
BBQ Bible
BBQ USA
Flays Boy Meets Grill
BBQ ribs, smoked butts and other great feeds

Back