THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very interesting to read what people say about you when they don't know it's you to whom they are referring. As people in this thread know now, or would soon learn from the quick notes, I was on the team in question. There's not a lot to say about the incident itself that hasn't already been said. In a little more detail, my teamate made a very bad decision before awards to wear an inappropriate apron. Personally, I was not involved in the act, nor the decision. I did not walk to, nor sit in awards with my teamate and did not know that he was planning to wear the apron. Still, as a member of the team, the head cook in fact, I am responsible for what was done in the name of the team. We are both very sorry that the event ever happened. Tonight the BOD met, heard from my teammate and myself and voted to the following:

We are banned from competing in KCBS events for a period of three years.
After our ban is complete, we are on probation for two years.

It is much more severe than I thought it would ever be, but I told the BOD that I would accept their punishment, and so I shall. When my teamate asked about the severity, it was said (paraphrased) that they wanted to ensure that competition BBQ remains a family friendly event. I'm guessing that they are sending a message. Those of you with questionable materials at KCBS comps may want to reconsider what you take.

The big comments and clarities that I wanted to bring up, the reps were not at fault at all. We received a single call, and they informed me of the issue after awards. The organizer was not on stage that I saw and told me after the fact that she was not personally offended nor upset. The promoter was calling out the awards and saw the apron first. It has been suggested to me that he could have tried to stop my teammate from getting to the front, but honestly, I didn't see it.

It's been a long night, and I'm sure there will be questions and comments. I know some teams are now very happy to hear this news, and at least one is not.

Goodnight,

dmp

Man, I don't agree with the apron choice but they made an example out of you guys. Harsh stuff.

What did your teammate have to say once the sanctions were announced?

Are you kidding me? I am sorry to hear that it's seems way to harsh! I edited my message aft retreading what I posted the point I am concerned with is the baseline it represents....

This is a bit off topic, but how are things like this enforced?

Are organizers presented with a list of banned teams that they are supposed to check against their competitor list?

What if a team simply changes its name?

And to stay a bit on topic, I agree that it was an idiotic move on the cooks part and I agree that the punishment was a bit draconian.

Eric

Wow! Three years! I was changing in the back seat of my truck once when my wife accidentally opened the door. That would probably bring a five year ban. Way too harsh.

Wow. Talk about overkill. In the past 10yrs or so, I have heard of various contest horror stories (drunks, fistfights,handguns, sex in porta potties, reps making up scores, and even briskets being stolen), and this is by far the harshest penalty I can remember. Not very cool if you ask me.

ML

Wow. Talk about overkill. In the past 10yrs or so, I have heard of various contest horror stories (drunks, fistfights,handguns, sex in porta potties, reps making up scores, and even briskets being stolen), and this is by far the harshest penalty I can remember. Not very cool if you ask me.

ML

Sex in porta potties???????? All I can say is, EEEEWWWWW!:icon_sick

3 years......WOW.......The whole crew is gonna be at Madison this weekend (only comp all year the whole crew gets together). A bunch of good guys.........but the little sh!ts like to have fun!!!..........................Kinda has me worried now?????:shocked: Guess I'm gonna be the prick that keeps them in line.....cause ya never know.:confused:

So.... the KCBS BOD felt the need to severely discipline an entire team for what was clearly a poor and misguided apparel decision by one of the team members?? I completely understand that the Head Cook of a team is 100% responsible for his team members and guests, and I definitely agree with some sort of punishment. I guess the key words are "severely discipline".

From what I've read here, this team member was 100% out of line for wearing what he did. I agree that it was distasteful and is definitely something that I would never want my children see. I'd be not so happy to see that an event.

I totally respect DMP for accepting the responsibility for his team. It's a hard pill to swallow, but I absolutely respect the way he handled it here on this forum.

IMO, this punishment is way too severe for the team involved. If this is the new enforcement for violations of KCBS rules, they really need to start looking at censoring team names, enforcing alcohol policies, etc.

IMO of course, and maybe I don't have the full details.

This event occurred after the contest was over. I would question why KCBS would have any involvment in any form of punshment. It could be said that during the contest, they have some say, but not before the contest begins nor after it is over. I also believe that there could be some type of violation of free speech and freedom of expression and that they may have opened us up to some form of legal action. ACLU may love to be involved in this one.

Very disappointed in the precedent being set. Who now decides what's appropriate? The answer appears to be the bod. It's alright to turn in a pork box shaped like a pe&us but not wear an apron with a cloth one? Anybody can now complain about a logo and expect it to disappear. What's offensive to some isn't to others.

Good thing it's not the FBA or Dorsey could no longer sing on Friday night. Would the song "I shot my ex wife in the ass with a bb gun" be inappropriate? Great song by the way.

And who is going to police the royal? No more Bobbie boards. No more flashing. under the bod's new policy set last night I can think of a number of bigger name teams that would have been banned.

We are banned from competing in KCBS events for a period of three years. After our ban is complete, we are on probation for two years.dmp

I am so sorry for you and your team. I got the chance to meet you at several comps this season and you are a good guy. No way this punishment fits the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back