What are you using for Briquettes

Hibachi Pot

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Howard
Ever since Weber quit selling an excellent product the search is on again.

I feel the frustration from an older post!

Went through this with Stubbs briquettes, only they changed their vendor to a poorer quality briq.
For 1-season Trader Joe had an excellent briquette, then it never came back the next grilling season. (I grill year-round but it seems like most of the stores around here have limited selections if it's not summertime)

Just when i found an excellent alternative, Weber stops selling yet another excellent product.

All of these briqs were large, thick, dense, burned hot and long, generated low odor & ash and were exactly what I needed for my 1960's made in Japan ceramic charcoal cooker/smoker that has since been copied several times by companies like green egg and Kamado etc.

Now I'm using Jealous Dev** briquettes because it's the closest thing I can find that works. I hate the name but like the way it performs.

All these flat briqs like kingsford and all the others that squash their briquettes in the manufacturing process to stamp their Logo on it, light fast but burn out too quickly. I would rather wait an extra 5-mins in the charcoal lighting process in order to cook about 4 more courses on the grill before the temp starts to die.

Found 2 sellers of J.D. in my area, Barbeques Galore, and The Woodshed, but still haven't found another brand that I thought was comparable...

I only use the best......

573224b8da763b046113f6d303f330a3.jpg

Royal Oak Chef Select - love love love that stuff. I used to get it through DoItBest but it doesn't seem to be available there anymore. California Charcoal and Firewood have it. They're in Commerce - cash only!

B&B Competition Oak Briquettes is the closest I have found to Weber, I have bought it at Academy and Ace Hardware.

Another vote for B&B briqs which I find at Academy Sports. I’ve had good luck with RO chef Select lately, which get on Walmart.com via one of the 3rd party sellers. I cannot get chef select from any vendors in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not technically a briquette, but I have been using B&B Char-Logs. I really like them.

I bought around a 1/2 ton of the RO Premium briqs when they were on sale about a year ago. The quality matched the price as they are pretty terrible for anything beyond an hours worth of use. However, I would do it again if I had the opportunity because I like cheap heat. I can buy other coal for longer cooks, but this stuff is just fine for grilling. Still have a bunch left and I haven't had to go to the store in a while.

I use lump for grilling and briquettes for starting my stick burner. I buy the twin pack of Embers at Home Depot. I've used it in a pinch for grilling and it's not too bad. Hard to beat 40lbs of charcoal for $15. I fear the days of the $11.99 twin pack of KBB are over.

Another vote for B&B Char logs. They burn so clean and last a long time.

What are you using for Briquettes?

Thanks for all the chime-ins!

Does anyone else make a thick, dense briquette?
A lot of preferences for the B&B I'm going to see if I can find it locally and try a few bags.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the chime-ins!

Does anyone else make a thick, dense briquette?
A lot of preferences for the B&B I'm going to see if I can find it locally and try a few bags.

You can get B&B at Ace via ship-to-store. I get the lump that way and I think they have the briqs too.

This talk about briqs is making me nostalgic for Rancher, and the old Trader Joe's briqs which were rebadged Rancher. Cheap, good, easy to get - and, of course, no longer available. :doh:

Back