THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kathy's Smokin'

Babbling Farker
This is what I entered into the WSM VS Kamado war currently going on in the Throwdowns. If you want to see all the great entries go here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191725

Made a simple rub with 3 Tbsp of a Jerk-like rub with pimento, 2 Tbsp of powdered ginger and 1 Tbsp granulated garlic. Got the leg on at 250'F at 00:30 this morning with a couple pieces of apple wood. I had a fair amount of leftover charcoal from a couple of cooks in the kamado and the kettle, decided to use it up on this overnight smoke. I figured it would get me to morning and it did. Caught it at 9:30 am at 190'F when I woke up, spent 5 minutes adding new stuff, was back to 250'F in about half an hour and pulled the leg off around 3 pm when it probed like butter. :becky:

Imperial measurement makes it $2.30 per pound, 23.3 pounds in total for $60.35. This is traditionally raised pork -- without the use of antibiotics, growth hormones and allowed to go outside and act like a pig. I get them at a local grocery store chain, Metro, based in Quebec, that still employs butchers in their stores. I order whole legs and whole shoulders, whatever cut is on sale, and freeze them for later. It's a good way to get better quality pork cheaper than 'regular grocery store' pork. :thumb:

Below is how it looked when I woke up and took at look at 9:30 in the morning. It was beautiful sight to wake up to.

After another 5 hours in the smoker.

I haven't been happy with my photos taken in auto for a while but hadn't taken the time to figure out what else to do. I wanted to properly show what a kamado can do, though, so I did a little reading and tried some photos in manual. Not bad for a first try, next time I'll try manual with a tripod. I took about a dozen photos and these are what survived the cull.

Kamados are THE BEST!!! :laugh:

Thanks for looking. :grin:

That looks wonderful !!!!

So, like 14.5 hrs.?

stuff cooks nice if just left alone like that......plus having a cooker that's built like a tank doesn't hurt either !!!!

Nice cookup !!!!!!

^ Yes, little potatoes, brother. I've had this kamado 2 full years and today is the first time I used it as a grill! :doh: Got the taters started at the end of the pig leg and then threw 2 steaks on the remaining embers for lunch while the leg was resting. Holy cow, why did I take so long to try that? Amazing!! Now I finally get why CharredApron fires up a whole kamado for a couple of steaks. :redface:

Back