Welcomed a new family member

I’ve only seasoned it so far. It’s been wet here and it’s just too pretty to run in the rain just yet. I’ve never run a controller and was shocked at just how well it held temperature once set. Bluetooth connectivity was consistent throughout the house.

Awesome. I was wondering where 'here' is for you. You're not that far away from me by an hour or so. Been rainy off and on here too in Birmingham. Hopefully we'll catch a break in it soon for a BBQ day!

Congrats on your new baby.

How does this smoker work, by burning wood?

Is there a name for this kind of smoker?

Thank you.

Gravity feed. A chute of charcoal continually feeds down into burning embers at the bottom of a grated chute. The top of the chute is sealed so that the fire doesn't burn 'up.' Instead the airflow is at the bottom of the chute which keeps the fire localized there. The smoke is s drawn into the bottom of the chamber and travels up through the food then exhausting at the top. If all works properly it's a pretty set-it-and-forget-it design. The range in price. Stumps is a well known brand of gravity feed smokers and one of the originators of the design, but the company has since changed ownership. There are now fair number manufacturers of the design.

Gravity feed. A chute of charcoal continually feeds down into burning embers at the bottom of a grated chute. The top of the chute is sealed so that the fire doesn't burn 'up.' Instead the airflow is at the bottom of the chute which keeps the fire localized there. The smoke is s drawn into the bottom of the chamber and travels up through the food then exhausting at the top. If all works properly it's a pretty set-it-and-forget-it design. The range in price. Stumps is a well known brand of gravity feed smokers and one of the originators of the design, but the company has since changed ownership. There are now fair number manufacturers of the design.

Thank you!

I saw this uses charcoal...is it possible to use wood or some kind of wood chunks for smoke?

Yes. Some people throw chunks in the chute with the charcoal. Others simply place wood at the burn area where the intake is. The heat from the above burning mass will cause the wood to smoke.

Back