Weekend Sausage Charcuterie Fest

hogzgonewild

Full Fledged Farker
Last week Kevin, my old BBQ competition buddy, called me and said his wife and kids were going out of town and he had some Umai Dry Age bags to play with. So we decided to whip up 35lbs of Jalapeno Cheddar Hot Guts and 30lbs of Sopressata to put in the Umai casings.

Started the Hot Guts with a 25lb Brisket and added in a 10lb pork butt.

Mixed up a spice recipe I found deep in the Brethren Archives that had a whole lot of fresh garlic, Cayenne, etc.

Put my extra small food processor to work on 2lbs of fresh Jalapenos.

All of the spice and meat goodness coming together with a little bit of Guiness Beer.

After 1 time through the course grinder, I added in the Jalapenos and 2lbs of High Temp Cheddar.

Back through the Course Grinder for a second time. (Next Time I'll leave the Jalapenos and Cheddar out until after the 2nd Grind)

Fry Test on Thursday night for the Chef

Soaked Hog Casings in Warm Water Saturday morning.

Started with a Couple of Rolls to get into the groove.

We Ended up with 85 links and 2 5ft. Rolls of Sausage

Taste Test off of the smoker!

We cut the Money Muscle/Tube Areas off of 2 Butts and Rubbed them down with Cure to Make Capricola. These will cure for 2 weeks, then will get rubbed down with Paprika (and maybe a little cayenne) and vac sealed in an Umai bag to dry out for 4 weeks.

For the Sopressata we Cut up and Measured 30lbs of Pork Butts and then ran it through the course grinder.

Mixed in the Sopressata Spices, full of whole Peppercorns, Chili Powder, Garlic, #2 Cure, Dextrose Powder, and Bactoferm to ferment the meat.

Stuffed it all into 50mm Umai Casings, which come in 1 30ft section with Zip Ties, so it takes some practice and time to get everything sealed up.

We ended up with 29 ft. of Sopressata.

After everything was done, and all of the dishes were washed, we split everything 50/50, and I drove back home to hang the Sopressata in my basement for 2 days (today.) Tonight I'll cut them down, weigh all of them and write the weight on each one with a Sharpie, and then put in the Fridge on wire racks for 4-6 weeks until they lose 35-40% moisture weight!

It was a blast of a weekend, with a lot of work that makes you appreciate the craft of Charcuterie. It's also nerve wracking to leave 15lbs of meat hanging at 65* in your basement and then having to wait 6 weeks to see if it is delicious or if it will kill you. lol

I'll post the finished Sopressata and Capricola on here when they are done!

Looks fantastic!

My last batch of sausage was the first batch I tried using hi-temp cheese - or any cheese for that matter. I have no idea why I waited so long to do that - so good!

Very interested in seeing how that sopresseta turns out.

Nicley done all around!

I got home yesterday and went down to pull the Sopressata down from fermenting and they were an awesome bright Red color!

I forgot to snap a picture but I weighed them all, wrote it on each one with a Sharpie and then stuck them on a rack in the fridge for the next 4-6 weeks.

I recently started using the Umai dry bags, they work really well. I've made sopressata and duck breast prosciutto, both of which were fantastic. Good luck, looks like you made some great stuff!

I wanted to try their 32mm bags for landjaegers but they refuse to respond to my emails about using their bags with smoked natural sheep casings. I have already confirmed their bags are Tublin 10 which can not be smoked. Which im ok with. There is a product called Tublin 05 which CAN be smoked. They don't sell it. Ok fine, but why ignore my questions?

Back