THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CaptGrumpy

is one Smokin' Farker
Picked up a nice 12 pound brisket @ Save Mart on Monday and got the urge to help a friend learn how to trim one and season it before entering the BGE smoke zone!
I trimmed it down nicely and then did a combo rub of Pappy's Low Salt rub & Pappy's Garlic & Herb rub after rubbing my meat with a bit of EVOO. I let it sit 30 hour in the fridge and fired up the Eggzilla BGE tonight to do a long low & slow session with this mammoth hunk of brisket.
Smoking the brisket with chunks of apple, cherry & hickory over a load of Lazzari oak hardwood lump.
I even broke out the DigiQII for tonight's cook even though the BGE really does not need the babysitter but it does impress the beginners.
I should be enjoying some nice sliced brisket tomorrow when I get home from my daughter's volleyball game at Folsom High School. They beat Davis Sr. High ( my alma mater ) tonight to keep their season to only one defeat which was in their first tournament two weeks ago. I think we have a serious chance at the state championship this year.
I will break down and do some nice pron shots of the big egg workin' it's magic but not tonight!

I know you have been gone so incase you forgot....
warninglabel_norco.jpg

It wasn't hot last night!

Opened up the Eggzilla for a couple of shots and the temp dropped to 185! Internal at 171 right now!
P9110004.jpg

P9110003.jpg

This one is going to be awesome!

I think adding the hickory chunks in with the apple & cherry lends the brisket the flavor that I have been looking for.
Briskets are so damned simple if you use an egg and the babysitter (DigiQII) makes it even easier. It is like using your oven but tastes a hell of a lot better!
I can't wait to take the tip off and rest the flat for later today. And the burnt tips are off the wall.

Back