Weber Kettle: Silver or gold?

Weber says the ash catcher wont fit... I'd bet SOMEONE out here has done it..
I've seen a silver modified into a gold.
Weber does not sell the ash catcher on their website, but like many other Weber parts, nearly all parts are available by calling them direct.
They DO sell the ash catcher if you are willing to pay for it.
Of course Weber will say the pan will not fit the silver... but there is a way.

My OTG is right out the back door just outside the kitchen. (I live in an apartment building). The next door neghbor's is only about 12 feet from mine and some parking is close too. I can't have the ash flying all over the place.

As for the grate... my first lasted for 7-8 years. I just replaced it with another hinged one (SS this time). I use the hinges almost every cook.:thumb:

far as i know the newer silvers can be converted with the proper parts. i have never heard of the sweepers being differant. they are all aluminized steel.

i stand corrected, i checked the weber site and sure enough, they list the sweepers as alum steel on the silver and stainless on the gold. i have never heard of this and under parts you only see the alum steel ones as replacements. well after thinking about it, duh, the stainless won't need replacing.

The Kettle is a life time investment. You will have it for years and years. I had the silver and loved it so much I went for the Preformer and thinks it's worth it.

Gold. Especially if you cook large amounts and have to reload charcoal during cooking. The ash tray will hold lots of ash

i stand corrected, i checked the weber site and sure enough, they list the sweepers as alum steel on the silver and stainless on the gold. i have never heard of this and under parts you only see the alum steel ones as replacements. well after thinking about it, duh, the stainless won't need replacing.

Yeah, like I said earlier, I had no clue until the service rep told me. You'd think Weber would use this as a selling point for the otg, but I guess they have their reasons. Their reason had a dollar sign in front when I had to replace the sweeper hardware for my ots.

For a little more, you too can go first class.

I have a Silver and love it like one of my kids. Still have the non-hinged grate; one of the lower vents is bent up; the ash catcher looks like a beat up baby moon hub cap. I wouldnt trade for a new one if you gave it to me. But thats only because I'm sentimental.

But of course I'd rather have a Gold (he says defeatedly). Its just that if youve never had it, you dont miss it.

correct. all my kettles are one touch silvers or three wheelers. i really don't have any real issues with them and won't trade 'em. but if i can find a really cheap gold on cl then i will add one to the family.

Back