THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should BBQ Sanctions Now Allow LP Gas for Teams (Pro and Backyard)

• Yes - Allow LP Gas in Sanctioned Team Compititions

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • No - Keep LP Gas out of Sanctioned Team Compititions

Votes: 121 63.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't care if someone takes their stove out of their kitchen and cooks in a contest with it. I'd say let everything in.

whats the difference at this point. they already let teams use electric to power their smokers. who are we to decide what utility a team uses.

Yeah - let everyone bring whatever they want, the same teams will more than likely be in the top spots no matter what they cook on. Read the green line in my sig.

It's not an equipment contest.
It's a cooking contest!

Let people use whatever type of cooker they want...May the best cook win.

I vote to allow them. Not much difference in my mind between that and a pellet rig... And I do believe it's the cook not the cooker.

SP uses gas for its heat source & I get a very nice smoke ring & flavor cooking on a gas pit.
Southern Pride only uses LP to light the logs in the beginning. LP only pits (restaurant style) are not allowed at comps.

IMO there is no way to get the same natural smoke ring or flavor with gas.

Perhaps an unpopular view point, but why not let the LP crowd in??...aside from the fuel source, what's the difference between a Souther Pride or an FE-cooker...you set the temperature and that's it. Same with a Guru or Stoker driven unit...if the control of the fire is being done by something other than yourself...why discriminate against the gas folks...I think this is what you call a slippery slope?

Word!
Perhaps an unpopular view point, but why not let the LP crowd in??...aside from the fuel source, what's the difference between a Souther Pride or an FE-cooker...you set the temperature and that's it. Same with a Guru or Stoker driven unit...if the control of the fire is being done by something other than yourself...why discriminate against the gas folks...I think this is what you call a slippery slope?

Southern Pride only uses LP to light the logs in the beginning. LP only pits (restaurant style) are not allowed at comps.
IMO there is no way to get the same natural smoke ring or flavor with gas.
Every SP I have ever used is LP/or NG powered... the firebox is there for flavor, You can run it off of mostly logs, but it will fire the gas as needed to maintain temp. This is why when they are used at comps, after starting, you have to disconnect the LP tanks. But they are used at comps quite frequently. I have only seen one team DQ'd with an SP... but that was because the gas kicking on kept waking up the neighbors at that comp...:rolleyes:

Yeah - let everyone bring whatever they want, the same teams will more than likely be in the top spots no matter what they cook on. Read the green line in my sig.
He,he,he We validated it had mojo at the bash, I wonder what that is all about Dave?? :razz:

I cooked the LP que in a Iowa a few years back on one of Arlie's rented CTOs. Oddly enough - guess who won that contest. Smokin' Triggers. Amazing when these LP guys come crawling out of the wood work huh :rolleyes:..... It is the cook not the cooker. To my knowledge there have not been any other KCBS "competitor series" sanctioned events that utilized all gas or allowed gas in...

ditto!

Interesting poll, alot of the comments are saying bring it on, but the poll says 60+% say no gas....

I agree! Let all in as the line is already "fuzzy".

I voted no in the poll . . . and then I read the thread. I probably got that bass ackwards, but now that I've read all the thoughts - I am ready to change my vote.

This is like arguing if someone playing a synthesizer or sequencer is really making music or not. What really matters is if the musician has talent to produce an excellent end product.

So, after reading all the thoughts, I have been convinced - we should allow all cooks with any equipment. Besides, that makes it less likely that KCBS will become MORE homologous like NASCAR has.

Let them run what they brought!

I could not vote in the poll because I am of the opinion that BBQ contests should not allow gas, although I have no problem whatsoever with it at grilling contests. :rolleyes:

For some crazy reason I believe that charcoal or wood should be used when cooking 'real' BBQ... (using my own definition of Q). Personally I am not the biggest fan of the pellets or the gurus since I think you SHOULD have to be able to control your fire without pushing a button. But then, some would think that that is hypocritical because I use an insulated smoker (Backwoods).

Allowing gas into grilling contests brings in more competitors... that is what the gassers are cooking anyway, for the most part. Chicken wings, burgers, sausages, steaks and occasionally ribs... not whole pork butts and packer briskets and certainly not ribs the way they are sposed to be... again my own definition.

I am happy to compete against whoever/whatever is allowed to cook the contest I am participating in. I know the rules going in. They'd still have to turn in better food than me.
Also, from an organizers perspective, it would widen the pool of entries, equaling more $$$.

Awesome discussion...

Back