Vertical stick burners - builders?

Melt In The Sun

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all,
I currently have a Yoder Loaded Wichita with door intake mod. I love the food, the fire tending, etc. But, I have a tiny yard and am looking to get something that takes up less square footage. I don't want to lose rack space (even a little more would be nice) so I'm tempted by verticals. I have a Broil King Keg so not interested at all in a charcoal burner.

In my perfect world, I would have something like a bandera, except a little bit larger and more solidly built. It seems that most (all?) true verticals are geared toward running on charcoal...some say you can burn wood but they tend to run really hot?

There's a builder here in Tucson who makes something that looks nice, but also seems really pricey for what you get.

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page12/page12.html

Maybe I'd be better off having one built? I don't weld myself but have a good friend who does structural steel and loves artsy stuff on the side...

Opinions welcome!

Depends on what you want to spend. LSG makes a vertical offset. Old Country makes a vertical Smokehouse. Check them out.

I thought the OC Smokehouse was more meant for charcoal?

That LSG looks nice..........didn't realize they made one of those. Maybe 2-2.5k is just gonna be the going rate for what I want. If I could get 1k out of my Yoder, that 1500 bucks buys a LOT of meat.

Take a few hours and go visit David at AZ BBQ Grills, you will be impressed with his vertical offset. Once you figure shipping his price is very competitive. The CHIRICAHUA SMOKER is just about $500.00 (including tax) over the LSG VOS of similar size however shipping for the LSG will be at least $700.00+. LSG makes and incredible smoker and you would be very pleased going that route as well.

Last edited:
Loom through the thread on the Smokehouse. Plenty of people using it for wood with great success.

Lv3Omh4l.jpg

Skip the Academy garbage. Buy once, cry once.

:loco:

Sure they are Lighter guage but they are priced accordingly. They cook well and will last 6-8-10 years if taken care of - you get your money(s) worth out of them. Of course Heavier gauge smokers at 3-4 times the cost will last 2-3 times longer......::

Since you're in AZ and don't need to pay for shipping, that's exactly what I would get. If you had to pay for shipping anyway, I would get the LSG VO

I'm Lucky in that Alejandro - owner of Old Country - gave me a 1 of 2 made, 3/16" Smokehouse - its 20x20 and store models are 24x20 14 gauge. I'd have your friend copy the Smokehouse in 3/16" plate. :heh:

Last edited:
Those are some great choices on vertical cookers. I've gone through this journey and come out realizing that wood to me is what makes it bbq. I can't wait to get a VO and enjoy efficiency and the relaxation of tending a wood fire. Just my .02

Hey Smitty,
What's the highest average cooking temp you've been able to reach with yours? I was thinking for chickens and turkeys I like to bump up to 325 or 350.
Thanks!

Hey Smitty,
What's the highest average cooking temp you've been able to reach with yours? I was thinking for chickens and turkeys I like to bump up to 325 or 350.
Thanks!

I cook at 300*. Bounces between 275* n 325*. You could go 400* plus if you add 2 splits at a time........or you can can average 250* if you size your splits right..... Did some sausages at 150-175* but had to keep feeding it Chunks every 20 minutes........

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239882

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back