Vertical Propane Smoker? would it suck?

Nuco59

Babbling Farker
I was at Lowes yesterday - and saw the Pit Boss Pro Series 4 pellet smoker and liked what I saw. $449.00- not for me- unless it went on sale. (it's not that I have standards, it's more that my wallet is flat)

Then I got to wondering- if pellets are notorious for not giving "enough smoke" (which is subjective AF) then what's wrong with taking another step "backward" and considering a propane vertical smoker? Similar footprint, similar ease of holding set temp (maybe even easier on the propane?) You want "more smoke" on the propane then you have to add chunks or charcoal briquettes but is that much different than picking the "right" pellets and augmenting with a smoke tube? The propane cookers are cheaper- I have propane cylinders (would not have to introduce a totally new fuel. I have wood, I have gas, I have charcoal- do I really want to keep up with pellets?

I may have this all wrong.

My old Brinkmann gas smoker gets used a lot - the wife has no interest in running the Bandera, she runs the Brinkmann all the time. It travels well, so it goes camping or out of town several times a year. It's great for bacon, fatties, chicken quarters, ABT size items. Ribs and brisket need to hang, racks are too small to lay them flat.
Just another tool.

I think it would be useful in some instances.
I have an ECB electric that was regifted to me from Dad probably 25 years ago.
I tried smoking a brisket. Once.
I tried smoking a chicken. Once.
BUT... It works great for smoking bacon.

I had the Camp Chef 24" vertical gifted to me over a decade ago. It did the basics, but I already had my Humphrey's Down East Beast.

It doesn't matter what others think if you use it, as long as you are happy with the results, that's all that matters.

It works great as a holding oven for large gatherings, drying jerky at a lower temperatures, and even as a cold smoking cabinet (no propane use) with an A-Maze-N pellet smoker inside the unit. Plenty of air leaks to keep a positive air flow when cold smoking.

I had a Smoke Vault as well, but I had the smaller version. I actually had somewhat of a difficult time maintaining temps and had to buy a needle valve to help out. I probably wouldn't recommend it.

I had a Masterbuilt I got on clearance from Cabelas. I used it a few times and gave it away. My biggest complaint was it ran hot all the time (possibly why it was on clearance). I couldn't get the temp low enough without extinguishing the flame. It worked but I like to cook low and slow a lot and that wasn't happening. I think electric would be more dependable as far as hitting and holding a certain temperature.

Am on my second Masterbuilt (truly an oxymoronic name if ever there was one).

These are inexpensive tools. They won't get passed down to my offspring. My first cooker lasted ~ 7 years before it started actively falling apart (was stored under an awning). Current one is ~ 3 or 4 years old and doing OK so far.

What my cooker does do well is provide me with the opportunity to make some very good food without having to stay awake all night feeding a fire. I can pack it with butts or briskets, close it up, then head to bed without worrying (much...I use a wireless thermometer with a low temperature alarm just in case something odd happens...like the wind picks up overnight or I run out of propane). It's also was inexpensive enough for me to not be a source of matrimonial stress (unfortunately, my wife doesn't much of anything from the smoker...she doesn't really like animal protein.).

Is the output the same as what one might get from a decent stick burner? Nope.

Fortunately, I'm not entering any BBQ competitions! I'm just trying to make some tasty meals.

Is the food cooked in the propane smoker tasty?
I think so. My friends and neighbors that I share it with think so. My Scout troop thinks so (the adult attendees request that I bring smoked fatties along for every outing!). YMMV.

Bruce

I started with one of the $99 vertical propane specials. It cooked good enough for me to learn a lot, but didn’t last that long. It seemed like I was fiddling with it a lot to keep temps stable though, but I was probably worrying too much. Sun, wind, shade all affect the cheap ones a lot being so thin.

Can't even begin to calculate how many tons of meat I've put through propane smokers through the years. I currently have 2 Smoke Hollow 44's.

Yes, they can get the job done. Flavor profile will be a bit different than with a stick burner or a charcoal smoker. Would be similar in flavor to an electric. And yes, you can control the amount of smoke flavor on the meats.

I'm fortunate in that I have a relative who is a tree guy, so I get all my wood from him. It gets cut into planks/splits that fit into the wood trays on my SH44's. Beats the heck out of having to reload chips or chunks.

This is one I converted/modified to use propane, charcoal or wood. Works great. I keep it at my cabin. The propane tank is slightly off to the side of the pic.

Attachments

• 20210724_130908.jpg
    20210724_130908.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 93
I have a Landman Large vertical propane smoker, stick burner and another large heavy wall direct heat BBQ pit. My go to is the propane smoker. I add wood chunks only at he first part of all cooks and this gives a really good taste. I cook a lot of meat and this thing does the job for me. Was under $500 dollars when I purchased with a cover. I've had it for 9 years and recently replaced the brass burner which was $60 shipped to me. I also put the flat gaskets around the doors which helped with the leaks. I have the smoke tube which I don't use anymore, but they do work well if you like heavy smoke.

I cook a lot on a Masterbuilt propane smoker.
I did have a problem with temperature control but found a mod online that helped. I took the burner out and ran stainless steel screws into half of the flame openings. Now I can run the flame higher without the temperature getting out of control. Instead of the chip box that came with it I use a 8 inch cast iron skillet over the burner and throw in wood chuncks as needed to get the amount of smoke I want.
I guess it must be OK because my daughter just called to say she would buy ribs if I had time to cook. If the family likes it I'm happy with it.

I had a cheap Lowes, (masterbuilt?) that worked pretty well, after I added a inline gas valve as the stock one wasn't working right. grills were small but it made good food. The kids found a 22" weber on craigs list cheap so I gave the gas job to my sons friend to smoke fish, as far as I know it's still working.

Always thought an old gas oven with a pan for chips/chunks would work great, thermostat controlled and insulated.. never got around to that experiment.

I cook a lot on a Masterbuilt propane smoker.
I did have a problem with temperature control but found a mod online that helped. I took the burner out and ran stainless steel screws into half of the flame openings. Now I can run the flame higher without the temperature getting out of control.

Can you share a link? Am having issues with flame out at lower temps. Thanks!

Bruce

It has been so long since I modified mine I can not remember where I got the info and what size screws I use. Seems like I actually took the burner to a hardware store to see what size screw would work. I may have actually put a screw in every 5th burner hole or something like that. If I can find the website with the info I will post it.

My uncle brought a Masterbuilt Propane vertical to the Keys last March. While it was a royal pain to build, it turned out some very good food, cheaply. The one we had kept temp well and put of good tasting smoke. Not sure I would use it for long cooks but it did well for chops, burgers, rack of lamb.

Back