THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Plowboys-Yardbird-Rub-14-oz/dp/B002TT46DM/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_rp_16310101_0?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002TT46DM&pd_rd_r=A0MHFH28M8AWQP8XQFMP&pd_rd_w=RL0MZ&pd_rd_wg=Yr2Fx&psc=1&refRID=20DR5GNWCZ3GECMD3H6P[/ame]

Yep, looks like you have it down. I like mine.
fb26daac1817127215f2cf5a99d060e2.jpg
26631fb5171db55ac3776ee793cff1ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went overboard? I'm gonna stay, oh, like two and a half miles away, from anything named Habanero Death Dust.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Obviously if you don't like any spice it's probably not for you but adding a little just adds a bit of zing (and good flavor). My brother in law dried and ground some habanero s he'd grown and that is MUCH hotter than the HDD. We use it on a lot of different foods including things like roasted vegetables. If you can handle a jalapeño slice on some nachos you should try HDD.

• Thanks
Reactions: IXL
I have no doubt cooked at least a thousand pieces of chicken on my Weber since I got the Vortex last year. Mostly wings but several dozen thighs and legs as well.

I use three different rubs depending on who I am cooking for. Folks that love heat I use either Habanero Death Dust or Jah Love Jerk seasoning. For the kids and people who don't like heat I go with Secret Weapon. I always coat the chicken with olive oil then a layer of whichever rub and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. If it's jerk I follow the directions and make a paste and coat the bird with the paste and refrigerate it in a ziplock for a minimum of 24 hours. We like crispy wings so I don't sauce at all.

I use a full chimney of charcoal and dump it in the Vortex when it's all lit up good. I put the grate on and open the intake and exhausts wide open. I add a chunk of smoking wood on top of the grate directly above the Vortex for smoke flavor then put the lid on. When the temp gauge pegs at 6 o'clock is when I put the wings on. I figure it is somewhere north of 700 degrees at the top. I let it ride for 30-35 minutes, open the lid and flip the wings then close the lid. 15 minutes later they are done.

This is the way I like to do it. There are never any leftovers no matter how much I cook.

ETA I forgot to mention that I do rotate the lid 1/4 turn every 15 minutes or so. Dub reminded me of it.

Last edited:
Back