THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My original post was in direct response to putting MARGERINE on food.

Perhaps a little research into the detriments of transfats might help alter/adjust your choice of food that hits your dinning table. It's one thing to plays games with the food to create the "luck of the draw" one good bite by a judge. It's another to feed your family and friends.

Should I attend a competition I would only cook the way I serve. Just like the goofy chicken that has morphed into some weird dish, I'm thinking eventually that false food will be found out for the BS it is and judges will pay closer attention to judging for food value as well, not just Presentation, Taste and Tenderness (wishful thinking huh).

I've had lots of Q done both competition style and non-competition style. Having cooked both, family and friends prefer hands down the competiton style of cooking. More flavors, more tenderness and a lot better looking.

This site and the poeple who post on it are a superb group of people who will gladly give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. You can disagree with the way that a majority of us cook, but to mock us or call us names for it just isn't cool. BBQ Karma has a really bad way of catching up with you. 14th out of 37 isn't bad, but it isn't great either. Just saying...

I hope you do well if you continue to participate in competitions. I'd never wish ill of anyone out there competing. You have to remember that when you are competing you are cooking for 6 judges, not your own personal taste. That was the single biggest thing I learned. And you know what? I REALLY REALLY like what I cook for the judges, and it has become my standard of what I like to cook at home too.

And just an FYI, I don't scrape my chicken skins, soak it in sugar or butter. Its pretty darn good, and 7 top 10's out of the 10 competitions I've done says it is too. With all due respect, enter in more comps and get some calls before you start putting down others cooking methods. One comp just doesn't cut it if you want to be taken seriously.

And nothing I cook can be classified as "false food". Chicken is chicken, ribs and pork come from a pig, and brisket comes from a cow. Using butter, rubs, sugar, butter, margarine, or any other food item doesn't somehow turn things into "false food". When I hear that term I start thinking about pink slime and the like, and I can guarantee you that there isn't any of that stuff in the meats I cook or turn in.

My original post was in direct response to putting MARGERINE on food.

Mod Note:

Well, to be fair, it started out that way and then you went on to call competition cooks crazy, which can be considered a personal attack and does nothing but antagonize people.

Margarine on any food is downright disgusting. It is NOT food.

Butter the ribs? What are you guys CRAZY. Just to win a prize you screw with the food and add all "kinds of stuff in the foil".

I guess since I don't foil I don't understand.

Then your second post took it farther and called what competition cooks do a joke. Yet another personal attack.

Have only attended one comp. 14th overall out of 37 entrants at the recent Best Dam Barbecue in Boulder City Nevada May 24th 2013. YEAH....I DID see what a JOKE it is how the "BBQ" chicken is done. Soaked in sugar and butter, scrapped skins yadda yadda yadda.

BBQ competition food is a VERY different format than any BBQ I've prepared or eaten. KCBS guidelines have only lead to prize seeking crews, not really improving much on what hits the plate. That's just the way I see it. Pretty much a joke.

Let me remind you what our rules say about this...

NO personal attacks. NO attacks of any kind. Recognizing that everyone has, and is entitled to an opinion, if your opinion comes across as antagonistic, bad karma, insulting or hurtful to another member, or person, keep it to yourself. Any meaningless post that is nothing more than a negative comment or is strictly there to antagonize, will be edited or deleted. Any post with no redeeming quality or deemed negative by moderators will be deleted. In other words, you are NOT allowed to be a jerk just to chit stir or piss people off. Moderators do not have time to be putting out flame wars.

These attacks are going to stop now before this escalates into something we all regret. Competition BBQ is not for everyone, but coming into the competition section and attacking what these guys do is not allowed here.

Hey, BTW... y'all need to take it down a notch. Getting your britches in a knot. I'm more a spectator and NO threat to your prizes. Just find something better than margarine to enhance the food (keep it food, chemically treated oils done so to "act like a solid" is just plain wrong).

Agreed. Transgressor I don't want to be. Sorry gentlemen, get back to the Q.
:oops:

Mod Note:

Well, to be fair, it started out that way and then you went on to call competition cooks crazy, which can be considered a personal attack and does nothing but antagonize people.

Then your second post took it farther and called what competition cooks do a joke. Yet another personal attack.

Let me remind you what our rules say about this...

These attacks are going to stop now before this escalates into something we all regret. Competition BBQ is not for everyone, but coming into the competition section and attacking what these guys do is not allowed here.

So I was at the store today and I picked up some blue squeeze Parkay. Headed down the aisle and glanced over only to see Tiger Sauce sitting amidst the hot sauces for $2.35 for a 5 oz bottle. Bought every bottle they had. Modded my COS with a deflector plate, fire brick and some flashing to extend the stack. Trial run tomorrow. Will take pics.

So I have seen plenty of folks using margarine or butter when they are wrapping their ribs after the smoke. I am tempted to give it a shot but I am a little nervous that it may form some kind of crust on them. Do you all do this?

What is your team name? What have you tried so far? How did it score?

Yessir, gonna give it a shot. Trigg style. I personally don't like ultra-sweet ribs so I may cut some sugar out of the rub and foil.

Judges seem to.

I also don't prefer Parkay, brown sugar, honey and foiled ribs.
But again.....judges seem to.

Not jumping on you specifically, just posting in this thread and your comment stuck out at me.

:becky: :wink:

What is your team name? What have you tried so far? How did it score?

Team name is Deep Elem Cue. We've tried several different methods, but to be honest we just started last summer and never entered any sanctioned events. This summer we're going to cut our teeth there.

Judges seem to.

I also don't prefer Parkay, brown sugar, honey and foiled ribs.
But again.....judges seem to.

Not jumping on you specifically, just posting in this thread and your comment stuck out at me.

:becky: :wink:

Absolutely and I'm glad you did post this. I need to know what to expect.

Team name is Deep Elem Cue. We've tried several different methods, but to be honest we just started last summer and never entered any sanctioned events. This summer we're going to cut our teeth there.

Good luck. I think ribs are one of the hardest categories because everyone seems to cook them very well. We have foiled with and without butter. I honestly did not notice a huge difference. Whatever you decide, remember to practice a few times at home prior to attempting in a competition.

We use Parkay butter, brown sugar, honey, and a couple spritzes of apple juice and I've found it gives the 1 bite a velvety smoothness that the judges love....just my .02
Wow, that's almost to a t what we did at a mbn contest,except for some of our rub. We got a score of 638.1 out of 640.

Yeah I'm feeling okay about ribs, chicken is another story.

Open mouth insert both feet. Fired up the "ex-wife" (called so because it burns through most of my money) today, prepped my chicken, ribs, got the temp perfect and steady. The SECOND I put the ribs on it started to rain hard and hasn't stopped since. Temp went all over the place. Ribs edible and the flavor and appearance were there, but under-done for my taste, Chicken could have used a bit more seasoning, but I used Bib Bob's White sauce recipe and the skin was a perfect bite through. Chicken B+, Ribs C+

Back